Hi, I'm from the UK but will be spending a few days in Finnish Lapland this Christmas and plan to try out some XC skiing. The hotel I'm staying at rents skis. I've no idea what type, but assume they will be whatever is considered standard or normal in Finland. This hotel is sort of out of the way, not in a very touristy place but next to lots of XC ski tracks. Now, I have done a tiny bit of XC before when I was a kid. Those skis had a herring-bone pattern for gripping when going forwards, so from my recent research I assume they were trad. style rather than "skate" style. I can sort of remember how to do it and what it feels like. But..... far more recently I've done quite a bit of in-line skating (rollerblading). So, I'm wondering 1) Is it likely I'll be able to rent trad or skate style skis, or both, from my Finnish hotel? 2) Which style am I best starting off with, given my background? 3) If the skis are trad. style, are they likely to have the herring-bone type patterning or will they need to be waxed? 4) Is there any real difference between trad. style skis that need to be waxed and skate style skis? From my memory of the skis I used as a kid, there was only a little plastic ridge to keep the heel in place when your foot was flat. I can't imagine how you could exert a sideways, skating-style force with this sort of equiment without your heel slipping....