I think the article you were talking about was about Jogasaki which is a climbing area SE of Tokyo which is a winter beachfront climbing area. The other region that Tokyo Bill is talking about (Makawiya/Yugawara) is about half way between Tokyo and the town of Jogasaki in a place called Yugawara. Its located in a valley with nice orange groves (now don't tell me that you pick the oranges Bill, thats something I would never do; ok my climbing partner Toshi would pick them and then stuff them into my pack so I could carry them :-) ). The climbing at Yugawara is mainly bolted sports routes, some slabby, some hard, well protected slabs such as routes like Izu Danser (an .11d slab), but there are some fun trad routes such as #1 Route that Tokyo Bill previously described. Ogayama is a location located SW of Tokyo (inland a bit and reached by taking a train to a town (Chino) north of the Minami Arapusu (Southern Japanese Alps).

In Japan there are a ton of climbing areas, many sport, some trad, and a lot of alpine stuff.