Originally Posted By: worthrussell
Go climb love a good troll but no I'm serious. This is a highly used station and it is unsafe. We can talk all day about topping out and 4th class decent or a 5.2ish traverse but the fact remains that most just don't use it. The way i see it there are 2 options one is to remove all mank pitons and cams and force the top out or create a safe alternative. Not a local I grew up in the Bolton Landing/ Lake George region and spend most of my time climbing in keene Valley. Im not a local climber. I've never bolted a route. What drama do you speak of. This is an internet forum about the Gunks. Is there a better way to discuss issues among climbing masse? Trust me I'm not the first one who has thought about this nor am i the last. where does local consensus matter? Its a private land preserve not State run. What history do you speak of would this be the first bolted achor? C'mon man be real

In light of all that, especially the bolded stuff, you might consider reading the history section in any of William's recent guidebooks and search out posts by Rich Goldstone (rg@ofmc here and rgold on rockclimbing.com) and learn a bit about the history and ethics surrounding fixed anchors and pro in the Gunks before suggesting yet another needless permanent convenience anchor.

If you really want to keep rocks from falling on heads, why not at the top-out bulldoze, terrace, grade, build a concrete wall, asphalt, and add a railing like at the top of Glacier Point in Yosemite?