You are correct. I was uninvolved in developing AAC camp. So was EVERYONE else with an active and actual interest ("stakeholders").

I spoke to Mr. Powerz (that be) of AAC several years ago, and asked that AAC refrain from participating unless AAC could assure their efforts NOT result on closing of MUA.

Today the official written plan to close MUA to camping is tied directly to AAC efforts. So we certainly can blame the American Alpine Club.

Perhaps they will soon hold their "Black Tie Dinner" at the campground?

I also spoke to relevant DEC guy regarding this around the same time. He was very polite, unlike AAC director.

When MUA is closed to camping, it will be a resource gone forever along with an important slice of the Gunks' cultural history that goes back to the beginning.

One might expect the Access Fund would be interested in preserving the historical access to free camping in the Gunks.

I wrote to the national group and this was ignored. Their notably ineffectual local affiliate, the Gunks Climbing Coalition, offered, through a Mr. Spetz, a somewhat convoluted and negative response to my concern.

The micro-culture of this discussion board seems to reflect a similar disinterest.

The whole point of AAC campground is to provide justification for closing MUA, a stated goal of Mohonk for a fair number of years.

DEC has been "managing" MUA with this goal (closing it) much in mind for at least a decade. Their long, long neglect of parking lot construction there has been nothing short of irresponsible.

There is no long-term guarantee that the paltry 50 camping slots to be available via reservation for a fee, and only for an uncertain "high season" at AAC campground, will be available over the long-term future or even beyond a few years.

You may recall the Appalachian Mountain Club in 1980s purchased an operated a hikers' lodge in the Catskills. They closed it within a few years.

AMC had 2010 revenue of $20.8 million. AAC had 2010 revenue of $1.16 million, down 31 percent (and 2010 expense of $1.81 million).

Mohonk revenue in 2010 was $2.51 million. (see GuideStar.com)

If AMC can happily walk away from their projects, so can the relatively tiny AAC.

How is that 87 Motel doing these days?

Maybe I'll run into Big (fat) Jim McCarthy there. Oh, I forgot: As a retired Ivy League/Wall Street Lawyer, McCarthy'll probably be at Mohonk House when he jets in from Jackson Hole (if Mohonk has taken to allowing ethnic Catholics these days).