Originally Posted By: RangerRob
Wait, you say that Red Rocks seems like face climbing, which makes it less "Gunks like"? Maybe I read that wrong.

I wasn't the one that said that. But....

The Gunks has always been face climbing central to me. No place else that I know of makes you face climb so far above small gear!

Which I basically agree with. I don't think the face climbing at Red Rocks is at all like Gunks face climbing because of the lack of numerous horizontals and the plethora of flakes of odd shapes seemingly glued on all over the place there. As far as climbing "so far" above small [trad] gear at the Gunks - there are a few others. Apparently you haven't been to Courtright Reservoir to name but one. And an old school slab route on the GPA or in the Meadows sure feels about the same or worse when you're 40' above a 50 year old 1/4"x2-1/2" rusty bolt with a semi-flattened hanger.

Most other face climbing areas I have gone to are primarily bolted, such as Red Rocks.

That's a major misconception about Red Rocks based on climbing at the first two pull-outs and a handful of excessively popular and crowded routes.