I think Phlan is confusing Westward Ha! (1962), which is a McCarthy route (with Hans Kraus and Yosemite climber Harry Daley), with the Old Route (1935), which is Fritz Wiessner's opening Shawangunk salvo.

Although arguably not a classic, the Old Route deserves an ascent by anyone who thinks of themselves as a gunks climber. It is where it all began, and the route is a testimony to Wiessner's prowess and spirit of adventure. Although Millbrook is only remote today in comparison to the accessibility of the Trapps, back in 1935 there was surely no way a party in trouble could have gotten any help at all. And Fritz's gear made the first pitch a near solo, since (at least as I remember it), much of the pro on the first pitch consists of cams in larger sizes than any pitons Fritz would have had.

I think many people will find the Old Route undergraded at the 5.5 it is given in Purple Dick. There is perhaps a 5.5 way to do it, but it is also (ahem) easy to end up making 5.7ish moves at the top of the first pitch. And although it is no longer approached from below, the traverse of the Death Ledge from the Westward Ha! rappel has its own adventurous moments.

One of the interesting things I hope Chris learns from the Appalachia article is how Fritz got back down from the top of Old Route. The round-trip must have been an interesting undertaking.

When I first started climbing in the Gunks, we were still approaching Millbrook from the bottom, thanks to the kindness of a landowner. (How times have changed!) Although the descriptions of that approach are now taking on mythic proportions far beyond the reality of the hike, it was something you really didn't want to do in wet conditions because of slippery boulders with real space between them to fall into. As for the lower cliff band, we soloed it, picking a line of least resistance rather than something directly below the route we were aiming for.

I'd also like to make an urgent plea here for consideration for the people living underneath the crag. Millbrook is a natural sound amplifier, transmitting climber's calls to the patios and pools of the people living below, people who own a significant, if at this point unclearly delineated, portion of the cliff. In consideration for these people, Millbrook climbers should make all possible efforts to avoid any shouting, and should absolutely refrain from any outbursts that would be offensive to people trying to enjoy the day below. Shorter pitches, hand and rope signals, and even (I can't believe I'm saying this) two-way radios are all highly appropriate and desirable approaches to making climbers' presence on the cliff as unobtrusive as humanly possible.