This climber is not me. But hypothetically speaking, if it were you, would you have taken the rope without reserve? or tried to work out a solution for a period of time … as long as possible?

Over and over again I read about all that has to do with such a happy ending to such a desperate situation as this, with ice! But I think all of went wrong, all of it here has to do with haste. And taking the rope so quickly as only came naturally to what had been from the very beginning was just another mistake determined by the errors governing the principles of the method used to ascend. Man's nature to search for quick easy and "safe" solutions. Which all, when taken together are not safe at all. In my mind, ultimately, this has to be just another error, no solution found and no solution attempted, and nothing gained. If there was no earnest need to get to the top immediately, then none of this would have happened in the first place. I suppose likewise one could always think about waiting till the sun set and the ice refreeze again where it is possible to hang on a dry tool.

Ultimately when you get down to the nifty gritty, I think climbing is not for the faint hearted or the week or for those who are looking for quick easy and safe solutions. It's a man's game, you can die or you can kill your partner, it is not safe. Good thing the belayer did not come off the top and the rope held, she was not even done with her anchors yet.

When you can't take the heat when the ice begins to melt, then it must only get worse. And this I think is the real problem, and that has everything with not taking or not taking the rope from above. What happened that day had nothing to do with climbing.