We had this big flake on one climb, it was big and loose and dangerous. I just left it, later on, someone else pulled it off, and they might have used a crow bar because it scared them too much.

But, aside from what I already said, to be honest, I never had a need for a chisel. I always look to find another way up, or I could not do the move and gave up for so many years. I will stick nut tools in cracks or jerk small friends around till all the shit falls out. But I have not used a hammer. The idea really never has an occasion to enter my mind.

I would not want to do a manufactured climb, I hate climbing gyms for just that reason. However, if part of a flake broke off and left an undesirable hold, I think I would feel comfortable to change the rest of the flake back again to the way it was before. But ... the reason I come here is to be amazed. A chiseled climb does not interest me at all. There is nothing interesting or amazing about it at all. The idea about climbing, that I love is coming to understand creation, I think it is a very magical thing, to feel one, and at peace in the mountains. To listen to the wind blow through the trees at night at the top of a climb.

The mountains should not be a place to be about conquered with a gun, or with a chain saw, or with a chisel. I understand them to be about discovering and being a place of enlightenment. It is not what I might take from a climb, but what the climb might give to me. This is the reason I come here, and the reason I understand that it's here, it's full of light. And when it speaks I'm trying to listen, but I don't always understand it very well, it's very complex, what does it all mean? Sometimes I am left speechless in awe and wonder.