Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 15 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#10136 - 10/08/03 04:05 PM Does the late bird get the shaft?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Hi all,

I usually climb/boulder in the gunks or Peter's Kill. However Mom and Dad are coming up this weekend from down South, so I figured I could still get my gunx fix by trotting everyone out to the mountain house on Saturday for a day hike (either Labryinth or Giant's Workshop sound good from my reading here.) I've never been at the mountain house before.

Problem: Mom got wind, somehow, of the Woodbury Commons outlets and wants to stop there on the way up to New Paltz. Even with outlet's early opening of 9 am for Columbus day weekend, this is still going to put us at the Mountain House at noon, I'm sure. (grumble grumble)

Is parking at the mountain house a similar situation to parking at the climbing areas, mainly that you don't have a prayer of parking if you arrive after 9:30 or so in the morning?

#10137 - 10/08/03 06:32 PM Re: Does the late bird get the shaft?
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
As an (easy) alternative you might want to consider just perambulating the Undercliff / Overcliff loop. I did it last Sunday with family, they enjoyed it immensely (great views of the Catskills from the Overcliff side). It's a little over 5 miles around, so doesn't take above a couple of hours even with time spent taking pictures, gawking at the climbers, etc. and allows Mom to get her shopping fix in too. We parked in the lower lot (no problem finding a spot at 10:30, even with the rescheduled Petzl event) and walked up the Stairmaster (I know, that's such a strenuous hike in). Or you could do the hike early and then head back down to Woodbury afterwards.

#10138 - 10/09/03 01:40 PM Re: Does the late bird get the shaft?
Allenperry Offline

Loc: Reading, Pennsylvania
Quote:

Problem: Mom got wind, somehow, of the Woodbury Commons outlets and wants to stop there on the way up to New Paltz.

Tell her the outlets burned down Then go up to Mohonk Problem solved

#10139 - 10/09/03 08:00 PM Re: yup.
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
park at table rocks. it will add a mile to your hiking. if they get tired, leave them at the golf course, run down to your car and pick them up at the road.

(you probably wont get parking in the mountain house lots at noon...)

or go to the outlets on the way *back*...

#10140 - 10/10/03 12:06 AM Re: Does the late bird get the shaft?
Anonymous
Unregistered

If my mother caught wind of the outlets and teamed up with my wife, we would not have to worry about parking anywhere but Woodbury Commons. Saturday through Monday.

#10141 - 10/10/03 03:26 AM Re: Does the late bird get the shaft?
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
I have to agree, parking, traffic, congestion, ten times worse at woodbury commons. There's no way you'd find me there on a Saturday morning. Just driving through the area is a mess.

#10142 - 10/10/03 02:19 PM Re: yup. [Re: crackers]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

park at table rocks. it will add a mile to your hiking. if they get tired, leave them at the golf course, run down to your car and pick them up at the road.

(you probably wont get parking in the mountain house lots at noon...)

or go to the outlets on the way *back*...

Where, pray tell, is table rocks? All I know is the parking lot at the bottom of the stair master, and the overlook parking lot (which I never park in, just drive by).

#10143 - 10/10/03 03:39 PM Re: yup.
pda Offline
addict

Loc: Bergen County NJ
I'm thinking he really means the Spring Farm trailhead, just past the Mohonk gate. Thats where you park to hike to table rock.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored