Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#10444 - 10/29/03 03:19 PM Ice Climbing in Montreal and Quebec
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for good ice climbs in Montreal and or Quebec that would possibly be formed in the Christmas timeframe (will be spending time up there with my wife). Beta on anything that is of quality, grade doesn't matter.

#10445 - 10/29/03 03:51 PM Re: Ice Climbing in Montreal and Quebec [Re: Chas]
kevin boyle Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NY, Westport
Chas,

I'm sure others will post about the ice in Canada that I'm really not familiar with. If you'll have a car you will be in easy reach of the Northern Adirondacks. I think Poke-O would be about an hour and half drive. If it keeps raining like it has been, this could be a really good year. You might be able to find out about the areas in Canada on neice.com. They will have current conditions once the season starts too.

Kev-#23

#10446 - 10/29/03 04:14 PM Re: Ice Climbing in Montreal and Quebec [Re: kevin boyle]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'll hit the Daks and Lake W. when I am out on business, but I know that there is world class climbing in Montreal and Quebec like Pont Rouge. Would like to have a change of scenery with good climbing

#10447 - 10/29/03 04:34 PM Re: Ice Climbing in Montreal and Quebec [Re: Chas]
kevin boyle Offline
enthusiast

Loc: NY, Westport
Chas,

I agree, nothing special in the daks. I have friends who have made the journey to Pont Rouge before. It is so much colder up there than where I live in Northern New York. It seems like there would be ice by Christmas there. The access is on a river so that might be an issue if it isn't frozen at that time. I know of others who have climbed the Pomme D'Or and other long hard routes in Quebec. You're a hardman aren't you? I'm sure it would be easy enough to get the info on the net. I've seen some great photos.

Kev

#10448 - 10/29/03 04:56 PM Re: Ice Climbing in Montreal and Quebec [Re: kevin boyle]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Pomme D'Or would be awesome, pic's of of it look beautiful. Doing long stuff is dependent on how my wifes ulner nerve is doing (it was inflammed last week). If its acting up, I'll be limited to doing short hard stuff and moderate long stuff, but just looking for really good 3-star stuff.

#10449 - 10/31/03 05:26 PM Re: Ice Climbing in Montreal and Quebec [Re: Chas]
Anonymous
Unregistered

I was at Pont Rouge in Feb last year. It was butt cold up there- way too cold to climb, but it looked amazing. Pomme D' Or is not near either Quebec or Montreal, but up on the Gaspe penninsula (really far). Do check out Pont Rouge though. www.drtopo.com had good directions and topos.

#10450 - 11/05/03 08:24 PM Re: Ice Climbing in Montreal and Quebec
Bolt_Skytop Offline
addict

Loc: New Paltz, New York
The area around Gaspe is rugged and cold, cold, cold. I don't know if it is ever really to cold to climb anywhere, but it is going to be an adventure for sure. I was there this August by the St Lawrence and it dipped into the 30's at night at 0 elevation. With the amount of precip we the northeast has been getting, I would be very surprised if they did not already have bomber thick ice. Getting there is going to be a trip also. From Montreal to gaspe is still a nice long ride.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored