Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (DMD, Fraser), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10485 - 10/30/03 07:01 PM Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The "Post" text entry box when creating a post or reply.

Problem:
In Mozilla, clicking on any of the Instant Graemlins or Instant UBB Codes inserts the code at the end of any entered text, not at the location of the cursor within the text. This bug does not occur in IE.

#10486 - 10/31/03 03:00 PM Re: Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla [Re: MarcC]
chazman Offline
old hand

Serious question Marc: Why Mozilla? Not a flame but I'm curious why people use it over Exp or NS. I often see posts like this where this or that doesn't work in it so why use a browser that most web designers don't focus on or thoroughly test for?

#10487 - 10/31/03 04:18 PM Re: Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla [Re: chazman]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
There are a lot of people who use Mozilla. If you use Netscape, you're actually using Mozilla. I'm using Moz Firebird, which is faster and smaller than IE or Netscape, it's only a browser, no news or mail reader.

The "tabbed pages" is fantastic feature. You can open up multiple web pages in the main Moz window, and therefore you have a bunch of tabs inside Moz instead of a bunch of open IE windows. If you're like me, you have 8 web pages and 6 apps open at once. To find the one web page out of 8 you have open takes a while switching windows; in Moz you flip through the tabs, it's much quicker. And to minimize one window instead of 8 separate windows.

Bookmarks are stored in one file; much easier to sync 1 file than to sync 500 separate favorite files. Cookies are also stored in one file, easy to wipe out all trace of my activites by deleting one file instead of running an app to remove IE's many index.dats (which are all system files and cannot be deleted while windows is running). Cookie management is much better in Mozilla than IE, I can go into options and see which cookies have been stored and which have been blocked. Ditto with images, I don't allow most sites to load images since they're slow downloading and take up room in cache.

It's more secure. Well, rather nobody writes scripts and hacks to take advantage of holes in Mozilla. If a security hole is discovered, it gets fixed very quickly, unlike IE which can take weeks to months to fix a hole.

Mozilla is open source. You can grab the source code, make changes yourself if you don't like the way it works. You can make changes and distribute it under the MPL/GPL/LGPL license agreement, which is exactly what Netscape is, a licensed browser built on Mozilla.

Anyway, that's why I use it. I'm not anit-MS, just think Moz is a better browser. And it runs on FreeBSD (and linux), which IE doesn't.

#10488 - 10/31/03 05:14 PM Re: Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla [Re: quanto_the_mad]
chazman Offline
old hand

Thanks! You sold me, I'll take it for a test drive.

#10489 - 10/31/03 10:54 PM Re: Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla [Re: chazman]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

In addition to all the good reasons QtM mentioned......

* I find it renders pages faster than IE.

* I feel very strongly about wanting to know when a site wants to set a cookie and when it expries, therefore I set my browser to prompt me before settin a cookie. Unfortunately there is a bug in IE 6 where if it's set to prompt, it can hang when trying to load the page and go into an endless wait. MSFT has said they don't intend to offer a fix. [This info according to Kookabura Software, makers of Cookie Pal]

* If IE is unable to load a page, it will usually defaults to its generic "can't load page" screen. Mozilla offers more specific information: the site timed out, the server refused the connection, the server was too busy, etc.

* It's memory footprint is smaller

Like QtM, I also use Firebird instead of the full Mozilla since I perfer other software for the non-browser features of Moz.

#10490 - 11/05/03 10:42 PM Re: Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla [Re: MarcC]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
I develop a web application at work, and I had to implement a similar feature in our application. I couldn't get it to work in Mozilla, so I don't think this problem is fixable in Mozilla - at least according to the latest edition of the O'Reilly book, Mozilla's JavaScript engine lacks the necessary feature.

Unless you can find some newer Mozilla documentation out there that explains how to do this...

anyway, this is an Infopop problem, not an Evan problem.

#10491 - 11/14/03 12:39 AM Re: Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla [Re: pedestrian]
OffTheEdge Offline

Loc: Orono, ME
I just started using Mozilla not too long ago, and I haven't used tabbed pages yet. Do you have to hold down control (maybe) as you hit enter on a web site? This seems like it would be a good feature, though.

#10492 - 11/17/03 05:21 PM Re: Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla [Re: OffTheEdge]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I just started using Mozilla not too long ago...

Me too, actually.

Quote:

...and I haven't used tabbed pages yet. Do you have to hold down control (maybe) as you hit enter on a web site? This seems like it would be a good feature, though.

As far as I know, no, and yes, that would be a good feature (although I'm not sure if it interferes with the pop-up blocking). I usually open a new tab (file>New>Navigator Tab or ctrl-T) and enter the url in that tab. Alternatively, if opening a link, you can right-click on the link and then elect to open link in a new window or a new tab.

#10493 - 12/02/03 10:25 PM Re: Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla [Re: MarcC]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
i have been trying out mozilla too, and the main reason keeping me to a ful time switch is the swithcing over of my bookmarks

i set my browser so that if you use the scroll button it automatically opens it up in a new tab which is nice

is there a way to switch between tabs using a keyboard stroke similar to alt-tab to switch between windows?

#10494 - 12/08/03 11:17 AM Re: Placement of UBB codes incorrect in Mozilla [Re: CrackBoy]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
in IE you just export your bookmarks, then go to manage bookmarks, import...

generally, mozilla will actually go out and import your IE bookmarks automatically.

to switch between tabs, use ctrl 1, ...2 ...3...n

and remember your home page can have tabs. which is sweet.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored