Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#10634 - 11/18/03 01:42 AM Window goes blank?
Bruce Offline

Loc: NYC
I made a comment in another post that this site was mac-unfriendly. It seems that was unfair. When Evan made the big changes (a year or more ago), it became almost unusable and eventually I just started linking directly to the discussion groups. But I've just played around on the main site for the first time in ages and it seems fine.

But I have two frustrating problems reading the groups. First, the software seems to have problems keeping track of what posts I have read. This problem comes and goes. More annoyingly, I'll be reading posts and the window will go blank and I have to hit reload. This only seems to happen when I'm reading posts, and it comes and goes also, but it happens almost daily, and when it starts happening it's really annoying. I'll have to hit reload half a dozen times in the space of a few minutes.

Anyone else have this problem?

Bruce.

#10635 - 11/18/03 02:54 AM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: Bruce]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
First, the software seems to have problems keeping track of what posts I have read. This problem comes and goes.

I commented on this a while back. It still happens to me from time to time, both at work and at home. And I'm not using a Mac in either location.

#10636 - 11/18/03 02:21 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: GeeVee]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Quote:

First, the software seems to have problems keeping track of what posts I have read. This problem comes and goes.

I commented on this a while back. It still happens to me from time to time, both at work and at home. And I'm not using a Mac in either location.

Could the problem be that you are logging in from two locations, and the cookie that keeps track of where you left of (in the forum) is one the other machine?

#10637 - 11/18/03 02:31 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Could the problem be that you are logging in from two locations, and the cookie that keeps track of where you left of (in the forum) is one the other machine?

Good question - would you like to apply for a position on our Help Desk? However, it doesn't only happen when I move from one machine to another.

#10638 - 11/18/03 03:19 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: Bruce]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
Bruce - I've been using a variety of Mac's, with different OS's to access the site, for the past few years.

Latest setup is OS 10.3, on an iBook. Everything seems to work perfectly well, except that I don't see the "notify moderater" button that is supposed to be there??!?!

And yes, it sometimes looses track of the posts I've read, but that doesn't seem to be Mac-specific, judging by what the others have said.

What browser are you using to view the site? Might that be responsible for the window blanking? Try Safari - I likie it a hell of a lot more that IE or even Netscape!

Irish

#10639 - 11/18/03 03:34 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: irisharehere]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Everything seems to work perfectly well, except that I don't see the "notify moderater" button that is supposed to be there??!?!

Look at the very bottom of the pane this post is in. Does it say Post Extras: down there? Next to that is there a little picture of a Printer? Hold your cursor over it and it should say Print Post. Then a Finger with a piece of accessory cord (well it must be - this is a climbing board) tied around it? Hold you cursor over that one and it says Remind Me! Next to that is another icon and even with my reading glasses on I can't tell what it is but anyway if you hold the cursor over that it says... Notify Moderator. Got it? Are we all on the same page now?

Maybe the problem is that you're looking for the Notify Moderater button?

#10640 - 11/18/03 03:45 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: GeeVee]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

"Look at the very bottom of the pane this post is in. Does it say Post Extras: down there?"

Nope, it doesn't!!! See attached screenshot

Irish

Attachments
97369-Picture 1.jpg (198 downloads)

#10641 - 11/18/03 03:47 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: irisharehere]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Nope, it doesn't!!! See attached screenshot

It's right there fer cryin' out loud!

Edited to note that in your screenshot that you posted it's between my signature line and the green border.

Edited by GeeVee (11/18/03 03:49 PM)

#10642 - 11/18/03 04:23 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
Bruce Offline

Loc: NYC
I think the list of posts you have read is stored on the server, not in your cookie.

Bruce.

#10643 - 11/18/03 06:42 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: Bruce]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
yea i check it from several machines and it always keeps track of it

irish, you are just blind, i would circle it for you , but i dont feel like it.

#10644 - 11/18/03 06:49 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: CrackBoy]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

OK, its official, I am a moron, I see the icons now.

Amazing how you can miss something like that though - your brain just unconsciously edits it out

#10645 - 11/18/03 07:18 PM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: Bruce]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
Bruce-
We will be installing a new version of the discussion forum software within the next few weeks. I trust that over time, the developers have worked many of the Mac bugs out of the system. Granted, they will likely be addressing bugs for the later MacOS', but I'm hopeful yours will be among the problems fixed.

On our end, we've made a number of changes to our PHP code to improve the performance of our site on the Mac Platform. But alas, we realized a while ago that the site will not truly work on the Mac the way we would like unless we completely rebuild the content engine that delivers the site. That's a big ticket item, and one that I can not afford to make at the moment. I hope to take this project up in the early spring and have an all platform site for next climbing season.

Thank you for putting up with the Mac issues (and Fred ) thusfar.

-em

#10646 - 11/21/03 07:25 AM Re: Window goes blank? [Re: webmaster]
danskiz Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Jamestown ny
As far as it not remembering the posts, this just started happening to me about a month or so ago. One day it just started happening. It remembers them if I log out and back in, but not while I'm on the site. It used to remember fine, than one day it just stopped. I figured it was a software update glitch.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored