Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 8 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10695 - 12/02/03 10:21 PM Skiing
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Can't wait to got out skiing this year. I plan to take my annual trip to Mt. Tremblant in Canada in February (has anyone else been there too?)! Also plan on skiing at Whiteface alot.

What are your favorite ski / board areas? Has anyone been out this year yet?

#10696 - 12/02/03 10:51 PM Re: Skiing [Re: TimTheClimber]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
i wish, knee is still a little sketchy from injury.

Sunday River wins hands down though for northeastern areas that i've been to -- really big and lots of steep terrain. terrain that still gives me the willies.

I hear Hunter is skiiable with a small handful of trails. Not crowded yet. Of course it's likely to suck, but who cares its a quick getaway

#10697 - 12/03/03 12:04 AM Re: Skiing [Re: TimTheClimber]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Hey,

How is Mt. Tremblant (its just outside of Montreal if I'm not too dense). My wife are planning on ice climbing in Montreal but hadn't figured on skiing (unless its REALLY good).

My wife and I (as does the Vlad from gunks.com and his wife) have seasons passes to Kirkwood (just outside of Tahoe in Cali). Looking to improve my teleskiing. I've got my tele-falling down to an art.

#10698 - 12/03/03 02:30 AM Re: Skiing [Re: Chas]
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Personally, I really like Tremblant. Yes, it it about 2 (or less) hours outside of Montreal and as far as I am concerned, well worth the drive.
The mountain is laid out well, and it is usually easy to avoid long lift lines. There is also great tree-skiing on the EDGE side of the mountain. PM me if you have more questions.

NICE moderate!!

#10699 - 12/03/03 05:21 AM Re: Skiing [Re: TimTheClimber]
roj Offline
journeyman

Loc: NYC
i went to Tremblant for the first time last year. it was excellent skiing! but COLD!!! we drove up and our rental car had a thermometer reading the outside temps, we watched that thing drop like crazy as we got closer. by the time we reached the house we were staying at, it read -24F.

Attachments
98108-skitremblant005a.jpg (1049 downloads)

#10700 - 12/03/03 05:41 AM Re: Skiing [Re: roj]
sohwhat Offline
enthusiast

Loc: 10001
i'm going to get killed saying this here but snowboarding's really my favorite sport

there's no place like whistler, but it's a litle far. i've never seen more terrain. plus the canadian dollar is practically the only currency that's doing worse than the us dollar now.

last time i was at hunter i thought i was going to have to rent ice skates. the time before that a maintenance worker dropped a ladder on my foot and broke it (yes, i am very accident prone).

i spent a season snowboarding at mammoth mountain in CA, and there's some nice backcountry there, you can hike up some of the surrounding mountains and make fresh trails for 2 hours on the way down. the mountain gets really crowded on weekends, but there's almost never anyone at june mtn. nice terrain parks too.

i think utah has the best snow in the US. and there are tons of resorts within driving distance of salt lake, so none of them are ever crowded.

maybe i'll catch the end of the ski season, my doc is gonna take my cast off on xmas eve. that's the best xmas present ever.

#10701 - 12/03/03 07:39 AM Re: Skiing [Re: TimTheClimber]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
I’ve skied three times already this year . Twice in ski areas and one ski tour. Two of those days I was skiing in knee to mid thigh deep powder . I think I can get another 10 days in before the end of the year since I won’t be coming back to the U.S. for Christmas this year. My favorite ski area in the U.S. is Mad River Glen in Vermont. Its small, but when the snow is good, it can’t be beat.

#10702 - 12/03/03 11:22 AM Re: Skiing [Re: hartmann]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
Why drive the extra 2 hrs to Treblant. Go to JAY PEAK. Most snow and best snow east of the Rockies.
Over New Years my wife and I are taking the kiddies to Smugglers Notch . Great family place and good skiing.
Stay away from Killington. I hate that place...

Skiing at Hunter this weekend

#10703 - 12/03/03 03:23 PM Re: Skiing [Re: KAYLA]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
I was really impressed, not so much by the terrain, as by the speed with which they get you to the top of the mountain, at Stratton, when I went there last year. For pure, cranking out run after run, it really can't be beat.

#10704 - 12/03/03 03:25 PM Re: Skiing [Re: hartmann]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
i've gotta post about this project we are doing in Turkey. But since i am flying out today i dont have time. But here's a concept to think about till i get to post some photos: The mountain we're going to has about 1.75km of drop!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored