Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 7 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#10715 - 12/03/03 09:54 PM Re: Skis - how short can you go? [Re: stimpy]
TimTheClimber Offline

Loc: New Paltz
I prefer having longer skis (190 cm) that are "subtly " shaped. In other words, I really didn't experience the advantage to skiing on skis with a head width of 8 cm. Something this drastic has an adverse effect on fast mogul skiing. I would rather have a gradual curve that quickly tapers off.
By the way... Tremblant, -50 degrees F. Been there, done that.

#10716 - 12/04/03 02:59 AM Re: Skis - how short can you go? [Re: pedestrian]
chrisinvermont Offline

Quote:

I'm tossing up between Salomon X-Scream Series at 169cm or so and a couple different K2 Axis models at around 174cm.

I have a pair of X-Screams that I got when they first came out. They are amazing. I got the longest ones that they made at the time, I don't remember the actual lenghts. As mentioned they are really an expert ski and were a little much for me when I first got them. It took a while for me to get used to them, if you get out of synch with them they will throw you. I let a buddy ski them last year and he is a very expert skier and they got away from him after a bit. They turn so fast!

As for favorite areas, Pico was where I first started, long before Killington owned them. When I moved to Burlington I skied Smuggs for several years. Great woods skiing in the back bowls and good party scene in the upper parking lot. Last couple of year I skied Sugarbush which was nice switch with the modern chair lifts. This year should be a great year for snow because I didn't buy a pass anywhere.

#10717 - 12/04/03 03:14 AM Re: Skis - how short can you go? [Re: chrisinvermont]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
I'll try out shaped skis for the first time this year. A friend of mine gave me a pair of old, but unused, X Frees, now I just need bindings. From everything I hear from my buddies who still ski a lot, I plan on getting hooked all over again. This will be the first time since 1988 that I will ski on skis shorter than 203cm (except for the time I skied the Otis from N Lake to Palenville on 185s after the blizzard of '93). I'm not sure how long the skis are but I think they are 190s. Long by today's standards but short by mine. Time to bust out the day-glo orange boots again! Favorite area? When I was in Plattsburgh, Jay Peak became a favorite spot for many of us. Mad River Glen was always fun for a couple of trips a year too.

Edited by pitfall (12/04/03 03:19 AM)

#10718 - 12/04/03 05:45 AM Re: Skis - how short can you go? [Re: chrisinvermont]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
chris - i assume you are referring to the X-Scream Series (yellow) and not the "X-Scream" (orange)? I was looking at the specs and the two look like a very different ski--the orange one looks like much more of a long-radius-turn ski for fast downhill/GS style runs, not such a tight turner. which one do you have?

#10719 - 12/04/03 02:18 PM Re: Skis - how short can you go? [Re: stimpy]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
Quote:

you have a board and you still ski??!! Downhill lift service that is. I have a XC and BC ski set-up, but if I'm riding the lift I would not even consider going back to skis.

Yeah, I know. It was curiosity. My buddies were ranting and raving about the shape skis, so I had to try them out. Plus, it had been a long time since I thrashed around in the bumps. It was fun, but not as fun as boarding. I just the love the fluidity and naturalness of carving turns on a board. Always brings me back to my SoCal surfing days <sigh> . . .

#10720 - 12/04/03 11:50 PM Re: Skis - how short can you go? [Re: pedestrian]
chrisinvermont Offline

Quote:

chris - i assume you are referring to the X-Scream Series (yellow) and not the "X-Scream" (orange)? I was looking at the specs and the two look like a very different ski--the orange one looks like much more of a long-radius-turn ski for fast downhill/GS style runs, not such a tight turner. which one do you have?

You are right, I have the yellow ones. They are just what I am looking for. They have a bit of wobble at high speed, but they are fine for carving big GS turns and they have definitely helped my mogul skiing. I didn't do any research at all before buying, a friend called with an offer I couldn't refuse. He knows how I ski and thought they would work well, and the price was great. I am happy with them and when you get the ski in just the right groove it is a blast trying to stay on for the ride.

#10721 - 12/15/03 07:29 PM Re: Skis - how short can you go? [Re: chrisinvermont]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Hmm... it's interesting. How many people get the "perfect" ski? As opposed to people like me who just go for the "great deal"? I picked up a used pair of Rossi Bandit XX's (I think they're 170s, down from 180 straight skis). I was looking for something else, but well these used skis w/ bindings were just too good to pass up.

The best mountain to ski is Mad River Glen, no doubt about it. Of course, I don't ski much anymore, so my favorite mountain to ride is Stowe. Killington is the usual destination though since once you get on the runs it's less crowded than Mt. Snow. Killington has some nice glades, and there's Outer Limits- I love that run, but can't get the other snowboarders to go with me... don't know why snowboarders don't like moguls, I love 'em. Used to like Whiteface when I skied hard, haven't been there in years. Jay Peak is great, but it's a trip I make coming from Montreal, too far for a weekend from NYC.

-QtM

#10722 - 12/15/03 08:47 PM Re: Skis - how short can you go? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
i have been on a few mogul runs while boarding, thought not really on purpose (didnt know they turned mogul til it was too far down) it was real hard, lots of hard riding and adjusting, probably why a lot of riders don't go on them, i found it kind of fun myself, would i want to do it all the time, probably not, but a little bit of mogul riding was fun, especially if there is some powder flying

ps hey quanto.. alpinist 5 is out

#10723 - 12/16/03 10:41 AM Re: Snowboarding Moguls [Re: CrackBoy]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
There is nothing better than passing a bumbly in a mogul field, popping off the top of a bump and switching outta fakey and then really cruising off.

I generally rode moguls for an hour or two a day...
Ugh, i will get my first day in on Friday. I can hardly wait.

Then we've got this film project we're working on in Eastern Turkey that should be super super sweet.

#10724 - 12/16/03 04:46 PM Re: Snowboarding Moguls [Re: crackers]
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
My ex-riding partner was so into moguls I had no choice. It was either learn to ride them or lose her so..... I learned to ride them AND lost her anyway.

They are fun once you get into them and get going. I cant cruise fsat through them, but I will spend alomst all day in bump runs - the flat stuff gets old fast to me.

last season was tough for me becuase of 2 recetely broken hands I was a wimp in the bumps and really didnt let it all hang out so I was very timid and it wasnt as much fun.

Worst thing about bump runs on a board is when they are spaced tightly like skiers make them, then its more like surfing the tops of them - which I find scary and hard. the moving between them for me is easier.

ed

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored