Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 2 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#10750 - 12/10/03 06:16 PM Re: Tubbs or Atlas Snowshoes [Re: GeeVee]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Same as Murph, I just use my regular old hiking shoes if I am just out snowstomping for the sake of snowtomping.

But, if, like edk is talkin, yer gonna be wearing them to get to ice, it's important to make sure that the bindings work with yer most likely bigger ice boots.

#10751 - 12/10/03 09:04 PM Re: Tubbs or Atlas Snowshoes [Re: strat]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
I suggest that the binding makes the snowshoe. And I just saw Tubbs' new binding, with ratcheting straps like a snowboard binding. Looks very slick, and may be the best out there (speculation). I have old Shepas, and somewhat newer Atlas 8x25's, the latter of which I'm quite happy with.

#10752 - 12/10/03 09:59 PM Re: Tubbs or Atlas Snowshoes [Re: Mike Rawdon]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Redfeathers. Have taken lots of abuse over the years.

RR

#10753 - 12/10/03 10:20 PM Re: Tubbs or Atlas Snowshoes [Re: RangerRob]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
Unless things have changed in the last couple of years, Tubbs and Atlas have very different binding systems and I'm not talking about how they attach to your boots. Tubbs uses a pivot rod (not sure what the real term is anymore) while Atlas uses a flexible attachment. The difference; tails on Tubbs will drag in the snow while Atlas tend to flip up as you walk. While Atlas shoes WILL flip snow up on your back, I personally prefer this attachment system to the free heel tubbs shoes. For me, it makes breaking trail up steep trails much easier. You can drive the front of the shoe into the snow with a much simpler kick than you can with the tubbs shoes. For this reason, you should try both shoes to see which works best for you. As far as MSRs, they just don't provide the float someone of my aah, stature needs. I use 8x30s and if I have a big pack, I think I could go bigger in fresh powder. 99% of my snowshoe experience has been in the Catskills on trails that were rarely hiked in winter so if you are planning on using snowshoes on packed trails you might be able to get away with smaller shoes. That is definitely something to consider when buying shoes.

#10754 - 12/10/03 11:41 PM Re: MSRs [Re: strat]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
I had a pair of 33" atlas boards. I liked them, alot actually. But i would rather get MSRs now. I actually gave up on snowshoes and got a pair of ascent skiis which rock the world for going up and down hill. I use my clicker stepin bindings on them...

Atlas has a more durable design, but the MSRs have similar floatation and, imho, are lighter overall.

i used whatever were on my feet, whether snowboarding or iceclimbing boots or even sneakers.

#10755 - 12/10/03 11:45 PM Re: Tubbs or Atlas Snowshoes [Re: pitfall]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
When I bought my Atlases 5-6 yr ago they had both spring-loaded and free-hinging bindings. Mine are the latter.

#10756 - 12/13/03 04:32 PM Re: Tubbs or Atlas Snowshoes [Re: Layback]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
msr denali ascent, little u shaped at bar at the heel folds up to give you added support ascending and can be easily lowered/raised with gloves on.

#10757 - 12/17/03 04:56 PM Re: Tubbs or Atlas Snowshoes [Re: Layback]
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Some good deals up on Tubbs and Redfeathers at STP

#10758 - 12/29/03 03:56 PM Re: Tubbs or Atlas Snowshoes [Re: d-elvis]
Ewick Offline

Loc: Do you mean now
I'm in the market for some feet rackets, and was wondering if anyone had looked at or tried the Salomon plastic shoes, I like the idea of the tighter gait. and the look easy to pack.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored