Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (wivanov, 1 invisible), 8 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10841 - 12/28/03 09:24 PM Powder
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
I had the best day of snowboarding yesterday. We rode off piste all day long, with ten to fifteen minute hikes at most. We made all the lines, and watched as we skiied the powder out all by ourselves. Turks generally don't ski powder. It was so fantastic.

hows the snow in America? or switzerland for that matter? or japan?

#10842 - 12/29/03 07:56 AM Re: Powder [Re: crackers]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
The snow in Switzerland is getting good again this week. From late October to mid November we had some great early season condition. Two weekends in a row I was skiing in knee to mid thigh deep powder. Then the later half of November and the begining of december were warm and the conditions sucked. I spent 160 sfr repairing my skies after I got a couple major gouges in them. I have skied 5 days so far and will ski on Dec. 30, 31 and Jan 1. A group of us will ski up to a hut in the mountains for new years eve. Happy New Year everyone.
Paul

#10843 - 12/29/03 08:58 AM Re: Powder [Re: hartmann]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
sounds awesome.

i am going to go to berlin for silvester. No snow for downhill, but good friends...

happy new year!
graham

#10844 - 12/29/03 11:31 PM Re: Powder [Re: crackers]
Daniel Offline
veteran

hows the snow in America?

The Northeast got hit by a warm Nor'easter last week, so most of the areas out here got lots of rain. Can't speak for the rest of the Rockies, but the two areas I'm visiting this season--Jackson Hole and Alta--have been getting pounded. JH had the tram running on opening day (early Dec.), the first time I've seen that happen since I started skiing there in '98. They've gotten over 150" of snow already and have all their terrain open. Early conditions in Utah have been fantastic. Alta opened practically all of the mountain on day 1 and has gotten over 250" of the light stuff, with 50" in 50 hours just a few days ago.

By the way, the skiing at both areas sucks. Don't go there.

Turks generally don't ski powder.

Apparently, neither do Iranians. Here's an excerpt from an amusing 2002 NY Times article on skiing in Iran (Mr. Alguren is Sweedish):
_____

DIZIN, Iran, Feb. 15

You know you are skiing in the Islamic Republic of Iran when:

a) Men and women wait in separate lift lines, even if married.

b) The dour woman tented in black standing next to the man checking the tickets tells all women wearing just ski hats on their heads that they are flouting Islamic dress codes and should find a head scarf, quickly.

c) With a $5 lift ticket, a skier can spend all day floating down through virgin powder; never compelled to ski the same slope twice; or stick to wide, somewhat groomed slopes similar to those in the Rockies or Alps.

In recent years, with the advent of the more open-minded outlook of President Muhammad Khatami, the more rigid aspects of sexual segregation that once defined skiing at this high, sunny resort have eased. Dizin used to have two ski patrols; the regular kind, looking for broken legs, and a second, vigilant for lose morals.

Skiers now no longer face choosing between 30 lashes or a $100 fine for infractions like skiing with members of the opposite sex. It is just one example of how the Iranian government is trying to satisfy the aspirations of this country's restive youth: about half the nearly 70 million people are under 20.
. . . .

"If you have a snowfall in Chamonix, you basically have until lunchtime to find untouched snow, then you might as well go home," said Mr. Alguren, noting that Iranians avoid skiing off piste. "It snowed two days ago and there is still untouched snow."

He pointed out a long series of S turns carved in slope after slope. "All those tracks up there are ours," he crowed.

#10845 - 12/30/03 05:38 PM Re: Powder [Re: Daniel]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
its been freezing in colorado(decided to stay home when i say it was -11 and 25mph wind at winter park on sunday), but we did get some recent snow. been pretty dry though - i've been once in colorado at copper mountain and there were small trees poking through the snow on lots of the runs. skiing in utah has been awesome this year. so good that i am moving there in a few weeks

#10846 - 12/30/03 06:27 PM Re: Powder [Re: crackers]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
Change in plans for New Year. We've gotten to much snow here in the last few days. The avalanche danger is to high for ski touring where we wanted to go. Eleven people were buried in avalanches yesterday in five seperate avalanches. All lived, but six did go to the hospital. There were also several reported avalanches in which no one was caught. Instead I'm heading to Pontresina ice climbing. I have a 270m (840 feet) route planned .
Paul

Edited by hartmann (12/30/03 06:30 PM)

#10847 - 12/31/03 10:52 PM Re: Powder [Re: Daniel]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Early conditions in Utah have been fantastic. Alta opened practically all of the mountain on day 1 and has gotten over 250" of the light stuff, with 50" in 50 hours just a few days ago.

Basically it hasn't stopped snowing at Alta ever since Xmas day. It's varied in intensity from trace flurries to 2" / hour. Little Cottonwood Canyon closed Xmas night and Alta went into interlodge which wasn't lifted till Saturday morning and the LCC road didn't reopen till about 11am. Right now, after two storms and 80" over the past 6 days, we're looking at another storm that looks to dump an additional 2 to 4 feet by Sunday. The skiing has been/is better than all of last January and February and is pretty fantastic.

Yesterday I happened to be in the right place at the right time. Was just getting off the Germ lift when patrol dropped the rope on Baldy Shoulder. I was among the first 50 or so out there. It had been closed for the past 5 days (and was reclosed today as all the east facing stuff due to wind loading) - Harold's was waist deep, and that was on phat skis. Jitterbug, Stonecrusher, High Rustler, et al were heavily cut up but still super soft and knee to crotch deep. You didn't really turn as much as float down Gunsight into Greeley Bowl.

#10848 - 01/02/04 08:30 PM Re: Powder [Re: Daniel]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
Quote:

The Northeast got hit by a warm Nor'easter last week, so most of the areas out here got lots of rain. Can't speak for the rest of the Rockies, but the two areas I'm visiting this season--Jackson Hole and Alta--have been getting pounded. JH had the tram running on opening day (early Dec.), the first time I've seen that happen since I started skiing there in '98. They've gotten over 150" of snow already and have all their terrain open.

Ugh -- supposed to rain in upstate NY and VT all this weekend. No boarding for me. On Jackson Hole, I read that they got 5 feet of new snow since Christmas Day! I'm heading out there March 10-15 for the first time, I am so friggin' psyched I can't stand it. Been surfing their website daily. It's really unproductive . . .

#10849 - 01/02/04 09:40 PM Re: Powder [Re: nerdom]
Judge11 Offline
old hand

It's really unproductive . . .

I'm assuming you mean your daily work product the closer you get to your departure date...

#10850 - 01/03/04 04:35 PM Re: Powder [Re: Judge11]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
its dumping in colorado now, finally. went to breckenridge yesterday, and it was ok - but next week should be great. we've had 5 inches in denver since last night, and a lot more in the high country. skiing this weekend or next week should be good, though still not as good as utah.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored