Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 36 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10851 - 01/05/04 12:57 PM Re: Powder [Re: andrew]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Had 4ft of snow on Thurday/Fri in Cali and skied at Kirkwood (outside of Tahoe) on Sat. Since most everything was closed on Fri due to Avi dangers, on Saturday I made turns through untouched knee deep powder.

Andrew, how is the snow conditions near Keystone coming along. Have a conference out there from 1/24 to 1/30 (meetings from 7-10am then off until 7:30pm to do whatever you want and then meetings from 7:30pm to 10pm so I'm packing my tele gear and ice gear).

#10852 - 01/09/04 02:12 AM Re: Powder [Re: crackers]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
hey graham
what kind of set up do you use for boarding powder. we went out to tahoe today and there was a lot of wet powder and pretty much every tim ei hit a big patch i would basically grind to a snails pace. i pushed the bindings to the rearmost holes, but i probably need to give em a wax.

#10853 - 01/09/04 11:52 PM Re: Powder [Re: CrackBoy]
zachres Offline
addict

Loc: In the midst of a "psychotic b...
Sounds like you need a good wax job (Last weekend needed about 50/50 cold and warm weather wax)... or maybe a longer board

I'm headin up to the South Lake (tahoe) area tonight... we'll be skinnin up Tallac on Saturday and Ralston on Sunday.

Set-up;
Burton S Series Split 170

Just pulled it out of the box last night, filed down the nose, tuned down the edges, and put on some cold-weather wax.

Zach

#10854 - 01/10/04 03:40 AM Re: Powder [Re: Chas]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
chas - pretty thin around keystone. i don't ski there much, but i'm going to copper mountain tomorrow which should be pretty similar - 35" mid mountain base last time i checked, so nowhere near what you guys have in utah or tahoe. we had really strong winds that blew all the nice snow away unfortunately, and the storm fizzled out quick. i went to winter park on thursday and it was better there, though still icy and thin in places. vail is probably your best bet, but that isn't a surprise, eh.

#10855 - 01/10/04 09:33 PM Re: Powder Riding [Re: CrackBoy]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
feet back, wax wax wax. remember to lift your nose when you're riding pow. Turn on your back foot alone if you're sinking, wheras on hard pack you can make front foot turns. As you get more used to it, and start going 35+ mph, you wont have to lift your nose anymore. ps: tell tail sign for need wax is the crystal buildup on the bottom of your board after a run. Are the crystals interconnected? then you need LOTS of wax...

Board length in pow really depends on steepness and center of gravity. If you're riding steeps-wasatch front chutes etcetera-you really dont want a long board unless you're really really good. (control keeps your head away from the rocks...) But if your cog is real low, you'll need a bit longer deck. I find that in my experience riding, board length is totally overrated for floatation versus mere waist, tail width, and nose profile. In 94 when boards were really stiff pos'es, you needed a longer board because you just couldnt flex the nose up for beans. My circa '94 fat bob plank, a 168, has the same waist as my circa '97 jamie lynn XL, which is a 158. It is my personal opinion that most people havent really riden that many decks to realize that length is not the end all or be all, and there is a leftover conception from the early days that length was the only way to make a great powder stick. For example, winterstick, a company that pioneered BC snowboarding along with voile in SLC, used to make 210's. Now the same model is 185. Boards are shrinking...but salesmen don't know it. (think about it: if you do a lot of BC, you generally work as ski patrol or at a real job. its not for amateurs. people in *most* gear shops are...)

we were in another knee deep day, i'll put some pictures up on wednesday to show the terrain we're riding.

#10856 - 01/12/04 06:32 AM Re: Powder Riding [Re: crackers]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
considering i am a poor grad student, and the likelyhood of buying a new board is none, not when i can buy more climbing stuff, i will go with the wax job.

zach, what would be the best mix for the weather we have been having or is it something i should just get and do it myself accordingly?

#10857 - 01/12/04 03:38 PM Re: Powder Riding [Re: CrackBoy]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
Well, it wasn't knee-deep powder, but Hunter Mountain has done a fantastic job of making lots and lots of snow during this cold spell. Conditions yesterday were fantastic. For its proximity to the City, it really is a gem. Nice, packed, groomed trails, with lots of fluff on the edges. Heading to Okemo for this coming weekend. Can't wait.

In the meantime, I've nearly exhausted the 4-year archive of Jackson Hole's website's "Photo of the Day" . . .

#10858 - 01/12/04 07:48 PM Re: Powder Riding [Re: CrackBoy]
zachres Offline
addict

Loc: In the midst of a "psychotic b...
Quote:

considering i am a poor grad student, and the likelyhood of buying a new board is none, not when i can buy more climbing stuff, i will go with the wax job.

zach, what would be the best mix for the weather we have been having or is it something i should just get and do it myself accordingly?

Wax is just a piece of the puzzle when considering tools for different conditions. In all honesty, though, any snowboard beats the hell out of skis in powder.

I was out with 50/50 cold weather and warm weather wax this weekend, and it served me well.... until the bottom 3rd of Ralston on Sunday... turned from corn to super-glue in the span of 200 feet. Not much you can do for heavy, watery snow; just stay back on your board and take your time turning... of course, you can always do hip-snap/jump turns - my personal favorite when scared out of my mind.

I'll probably stick with this wax mixture for a few more weeks... depending on the forecast.

Also, I don't know much about your board, but... If you haven't blunted the hell out of the nose and tail of your board, DO IT. Take a file all the way around to the widest point of the nose or tail and blunt the hell out of it. This will keep it from biting in Sierra Cement.

Zach

#10859 - 01/13/04 08:10 AM Re: Powder Riding [Re: zachres]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
Quote:
"In all honesty, though, any snowboard beats the hell out of skis in powder."

I'm probably in the minority now, but I'll still take my skis over a snowboard in powder (or anywhere else).

#10860 - 02/09/04 11:49 PM Re: Powder Riding [Re: hartmann]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
I just moved to Salt Lake City last week, and spent the weekend AT skiing in the backcountry. Holy god. Knee to waist deep powder, and no tracks yet(at least where I went). It makes up for how many hours I spent shoveling snow from my entombed driveway when I moved in.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored