Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#10910 - 01/12/04 05:49 PM Re: Why Ascent Skiis over Split decks [Re: Chooch]
zachres Offline
addict

Loc: In the midst of a "psychotic b...
Quote:

I hate skiing with most snowboarders for this reason. Seems they love sitting on their bum and fiddling with bindings and talking to their bros. Also feel the need to hike back up and hit a bump again and again. I just want to go that way really fast and when something gets in the way, turn. Top to bottom baby.
Boarder pants have a built in bum pad made for sitting. Figures.

I think it's the whole skater thing making a cross over. Skaters ride a curb for endless hours and commune with their bros. Then they go to the mountain and do the same. Skiers were never told they should do this and only stop to catch their breath or help someones yard sale.

Perhaps you're talking about resort riding instead of BackCountry???? Perhaps you're in the wrong terrain, with the wrong people. I doubt it has anything to do with which tool they're using.

Anywhoo, I spent my first 2 days on my new '04 Burton S Series Split Board 172 this weekend, in the Lake Tahoe BC (Mt. Tallac on Saturday and Mt. Ralston on Sunday), and here's what I can tell you;

Ascent - In good and bad conditions, I was able to climb a steeper line than skiers... i'm sure it has something to do with the wider base of support and beefier ski-crampons. Icy, hard, wind-pack traverses were a little more tricky than with skis, but not so much that they were more than a minute or two ahead of me, or that I ever felt like I was in danger.... it's just a little harder to edge with soft, snowboard boots.

Change over time - no more than 5 minutes from rippin' skins to droppin' in, even in shitty, icy, windy conditions on a thin, exposed ridge. And, the new Burton interfaces are really sturdy.

Weight - A little heavier than my resort rig, but a.) It made the board feel a lot more stable on the big, upper-mountain lines, and only moderately harder to turn in trees. b.) I'll take an extra poun on my legs verses 4 on my back any day.

Ride - We made turns in; bullet-proof wind-pack, 2-inch breakable crust, corn, and super-glue wet snow.... And the board rode like a dream... Even, dare I say, better than my beloved Arbor.

To the naysayers.... enjoy hiking up in snow-shoes, or tiny aproach skis, with a board on your back; enjoy the ride down with all the extra weight and crap on your back. I'll pass you with a grin on my face in both directions.

Zach

#10911 - 01/12/04 09:12 PM Re: Why Ascent Skiis over Split decks [Re: zachres]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Well, in defense of skiing with boarders (not to be confused with doctors without borders), I was able to leisurely eat at every stop and tend to nature issues, talk to the guide, etc., but they were constantly in motion without a break. Also, I got to feel superior since they had problems falling all the time in the deep powder and getting started again, whereas I, mediocre skier that I am, didn't embarrass myself as much as I would have with other good skiers. Finally, they seemed to have problem with kick turns, but then again we practiced that in the wrong place - right above a cliff at the top of the piste. I got gripped watching them fumble around learning the technique. Probably the biggest mistake the guide made in two days. (I just took off my skis like a wuss and turned them around!!!)

#10912 - 01/12/04 09:51 PM Re: Why Ascent Skiis over Split decks [Re: Fraser]
zachres Offline
addict

Yep...

Sounds like newby split-boarders to me

I too have been in that less than desirable position. Just like anythig else, a little practice goes a long ways.

There's nothing like big, trench-laying, high-speed, rooster-tailing snowboard turns on big mountains, but to be efficient at getting there and getting home takes some practice and finesse.

Zach

#10913 - 01/13/04 12:21 PM Re: Why not skiiers... [Re: Chooch]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
I hate riding BC with most skiiers cause they can't keep speed on pow. Plus, they're often fat and out of shape, unable to skin quickly. And then, they keep whining about eating lunch...aargh!

Hey, ZachRes, it sounds like you're issuing a challenge there big-boy! I'll just have to say that you're welcome to fly over here and find out how wrong you are about your weight assumptions and all the rest. You have at least 6 pounds more weight than i do...

But as for snowboarders falling in powder? I gotta agree, rank beginners. Thats just bad.

#10914 - 01/13/04 05:49 PM Re: Why not skiiers... [Re: crackers]
zachres Offline
addict

Crackers,.

Do I know you?... you must be reffering to my all-time peak weight/couch potato period, before my 3-month work hiatus in the Gunks

Anywhoo, a lot of weight comparison has been done by a friend of mine who gets hooked-up by Burton, Osprey, and Mountain Hardwear... he has been in the Tahoe BC for about 14 years and is a HUGE proponent of split boards. The Voile hardware tends to be a little bit lighter, but the Burton interface clamps their board together and makes for an amazingly better ride.
How much do your approach skis or snowshoes weigh? 2 or 3 pounds? Consider that the additional weight of the Burton Interface is about 1 pound, and that's a very generous number...
Subtract the weight of the board form your back + the weight of the aproach tools on your back for the descent, and you get a true picture of the wieght and effort savings.

I've snowshoed, and I've split-boarded, and I guarantee you that I would go split anyday, given the choice.

BTW - Are we talking NY backcountry or Istanbul backcountry? You can keep New York. I'm not a big fan of trees and hardpack

You're welcome to come out West, anytime. Rumor is, we're having a "Split-fest '04" in SLC, first weekend of April... But i can't guarantee that I have limited faith in the person who is organizing it.

Zach

#10915 - 01/27/04 12:12 AM Re: Why not skiiers... [Re: zachres]
zachres Offline
addict

http://www.telemarktalk.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=15377

Photos near the bottom of the thread...

This was Saturday, Tahoe BC... 3 split-boarders and 1 tele-dude.

I'll take my split over ascent skis any day.

Zach

#10916 - 01/27/04 07:11 PM Re: Why not skiiers... [Re: zachres]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

i'll post some shots some day soon:\ your buddies are nice.

just got back from five days bc camping/riding. 2000 vertical meters of drop, chutes, etcetera etcetera.

1.6 meters of snow in this time frame. went from 7 to 5 block test points, but just rode barely off piste in knee deep for the last day...

i am tired, but SO happy. 60 mph no turn 1k vert meter descents do me in...

i'll take anything free, but i love my ascent skis. especially for mountaineering...

#10917 - 01/28/04 05:39 PM Re: Why not skiiers... [Re: zachres]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Quote:

Zach comes from the east coast and was calling the 4inches of new snow bottomless.

Hey Zach... looks like you need to teach your new buddies some respect :-)

#10918 - 01/28/04 07:06 PM Re: Why not skiiers... [Re: pedestrian]
zachres Offline
addict

Oh, yeah.. we had a whole East-Coast, West-Coast battle goin' all day....
It ended with my trademark 15-foot cliff-drop to face-planet to incoherent babbling and temporary amnesia

The dude that shot all of those pictures is actually an ex-pro freestyle snowboarder. He gets hooked up by Burton, Mountian Hardwear, and Osprey in return for lots of backcountry footage and promotion....... so, it's hard for me to show him up

Zach

#10919 - 01/28/04 09:22 PM Re: West coast? East coast? [Re: zachres]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

but the pics did look like y'all had fun...besides, westerners don't have a clue how to ice skate vertical terrain.

off for nine days of first tracks tommorrow. We're gonna ride five or six small mountains that have never been skiied before. They got twenty cm of fresh in the past 3 days, and a major storm should hit us on tuesday.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored