Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 18 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#11020 - 02/09/04 02:49 AM Backcountry Sights in the Gunks area?
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
Just returned from doing some back country skiing in Colorado. It was great fun, and spectacular scenery. Now that I'm back, I'd like to continue skiing backcountry, but I don't know where to do it around here. Any hardcore backcountry folk have any recommendations?

-em

#11021 - 02/09/04 02:24 PM Re: Backcountry Sights in the Gunks area? [Re: webmaster]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
Not an answer to your question but...
what is the story on the old ski area out behind the old Preserve office?

#11022 - 02/09/04 02:29 PM Re: Backcountry Sights in the Gunks area? [Re: webmaster]
groundhog Offline

Loc: southern NJ
For general cruising around, you can't beat anywhere on the 'gunks ridge - you should know that! WIth enough snow, the old carriageways leading down to Ellenville have some nice descents; enuff snow is the key. For more awe-inspiring scenery you will have to head north.

#11023 - 02/11/04 06:21 PM Re: Backcountry Sights in the Gunks area? [Re: groundhog]
stimpy Offline
Site Supporter

Quote:

WIth enough snow, the old carriageways leading down to Ellenville have some nice descents; enuff snow is the key.

Unfortunately the carriage road from lake Awosting to Ellenville is no longer passable due to deadfall. This used to be a great Mt. bike ride back in the day before the no bike signs. But just like Hamilton Point carriageway, if they want to close a trail all they have to do is not clear it.

For backcountry skiing in the area, try Rusk Mtn. in the Catskills just west of Hunter. There are a couple of different ways to access it. One would be from the top of Colonel's Chair, with a lift ticket. Another is a two car mission starting in Spruceton. Skin up the jeep road up Hunter to the saddle between Rusk and Hunter, summit Rusk, then drop in and come out at the bottom of the chairlift in Hunter West.

For inbounds lift-service trees, Platty is it, but don't tell anyone.

#11024 - 02/13/04 01:28 PM Re: Backcountry Sights in the Gunks area? [Re: stimpy]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
I've skied some off trail stuff at hunter too. There is stuff on the west side near annapurna and over toward where stimjpy mentioned, and there's stuff over by F lift near K 27. Windham has stuff on the way toward wedel (I think) with some small cliff drops. If you want a short hike and no lift service, you can make your way down off of the trial to plateau mt, you can ski the otis from north lake to palenville if we get lots of snow, or you can find other creative ways down in that general area. Most require more work than they are worth however.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored