Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#11026 - 02/10/04 02:30 PM Custom Road Trip Mobile
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
Im getting ready to do some work to my Ford conversion van to make it more road trip worthy.
Gonna make the fold down bench seat into a semi comfortable bed, and add better storage. It will also need NRA stickers and some empty shotgun shells for camoflage at trail heads.

Anyone have a cool ride they want to tell about? I need ideas.

#11027 - 02/10/04 03:24 PM Re: Custom Road Trip Mobile [Re: Chooch]
Anonymous
Unregistered

Here's a picture of my van, it has 277,000 miles on it been on 2 cross country climbing trips an numerous weekend/week long trips. Since you already have a van I won't try to convince you to go Toyota, but they are the best vans! You have tons of room with a van that size you should be living large, a raised bed with storage underneath is the way to go for sure. For my van I have an oversized boulder pad for part of my bed, it works out great and serves 2 purposes.
Happy road tripping.

Jay

Attachments
101361-image0003.jpg (125 downloads)

#11028 - 02/10/04 03:31 PM Re: Custom Road Trip Mobile [Re: Chooch]
danskiz Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Jamestown ny
I also have a ford conversion van that I have already outfitted for climbing. I put a LOT of thought into it. The first thing I did was get rid of the sofa/bed in the back. It was uncomfortable at best to sleep on, and very little storage underneath. Than I pulled out the other back seats(rear captians chairs). The first thing I did was build my own bench seat. I designed it to be like a sofa when your going down the road, but when your sleeping the back of it folds up into bunk beds. It runs down the drivers side of the van, not across the back. I than installed an RV furnace under the end of the sofa/bunkbed for drying gear, and keeping warm when your parked. I also installed an auxiliary deepcell battery and the appropriate ignitian activated switch so that when I'm parked I'm only pulling juice off of the auxiliary battery, and the starting battery always stays fully charged. I also installed a converter, so if I need to I can power the van on a standard 120v outlet (either shore power, or a generator). Than I put clips in the ceiling (behind the passenger side seats to the back, and across the back in front of the furnace) to run cord back and forth for drying lines. Than I made a boot and glove dryer and put that under the front(behind the drivers seat) of the sofa/bunkbed. Than I Installed seat swivels on the driver and passenger seats, so when I'm parked I can turn them around for more seating room. It all works sweet! I can pretty much live out of the van very comfortably on trips, winter or summer. After a long day of ice climbing, I can fire the furnace up, hang all of our wet clothes and ropes up to dry, put our boots and gloves on the boot dryer, through in a dvd, and kick back!

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored