Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (Elwood54), 10 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11030 - 02/10/04 08:02 PM Bishop
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
SO i am heading out to bishop for a weekend of bouldering adn skiing and was wondering what some faorites might be? haven't had a chance to pick up the guide yet , probably do that when i get there, but will probably head to the happys unless convinced otherwise

#11031 - 02/10/04 09:10 PM Re: Bishop [Re: CrackBoy]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
Back country skiing above Toms Place (north of Bishop). Bouldering in the Happys, Sads and Buttermilks (if they don't have snow on them). Hot Springs at Mammoth

#11032 - 02/11/04 03:05 AM Re: Bishop [Re: Chas]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
Check out norope.com , Bishop is a fav over there.
Many photos too.

#11033 - 02/11/04 06:31 PM Re: Bishop [Re: CrackBoy]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
Scott & I climbed at Alabama Hills over Thanksgiving ... Rumney-style bolting on Josh-style rock. Very loose rock, though. Seemed to be that most routes were north-facing, making it more of a summer destination than now. Worthwhile for a day, but a bit overrated - the g/b labels just about every route as ***, but you have to read the fine print (that the stars are only relative to AH, not 'overall'). But, you asked about bouldering ... sorry for the drift.

#11034 - 02/11/04 08:26 PM Re: Bishop [Re: Julie]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

its not thread drift if it will become pertinant later on. its only 5-6 hours from us so it could be a long weekend trip though a lot of people make the slop for normal weekends.

i have the Bishop Rockclimbing book that has a lot of the area crags in it and i am interested in checking them out, but don't think i will have the time this trip

#11035 - 02/11/04 10:17 PM Re: Bishop [Re: CrackBoy]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Many of the climbs like those near Aspendell, another crag (the name eludes me since I haven't been there in 3 yrs but has an egyption name to it) probably will be under snow right now as probably will be pine creek canyon.

#11036 - 02/12/04 11:25 PM Re: Bishop [Re: Julie]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

actually turns out my friend that we are meeting would rather crag it up than boulder so Julie's post now becomes one of the few on topic

i have a feeling alot of it will be snowed in or too cold to climb and bouldering will be nice and warm

will see and post upon my return

#11037 - 02/13/04 04:17 AM Re: Bishop [Re: CrackBoy]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

i have a feeling alot of it will be snowed in or too cold to climb and bouldering will be nice and warm

Hint: Owens River Gorge. Pick routes in the sun.

#11038 - 02/13/04 12:48 PM Re: Bishop [Re: CrackBoy]
RAF Offline
site supporter

Loc: Colorado (!)
I strongly second the vote on the Owens River Gorge. Sport routes out the kazoo, and most are really nice. Depending on what the temperature is, you can follow the sun or the shade, for the climbs are on both side of the gorge.

Gunks regular JocK VanPatten, who has probably climbed Stirrup Trouble more times than anyone else on the planet, has permanently relocated to Bishop in large measure for the ORG and Clark Canyon. (CC is ~7,000' elevation and is therefore not a winter destination.)

#11039 - 02/13/04 01:05 PM Re: Bishop [Re: CrackBoy]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

I would go with MarcC. Alabama Hills is down by the Whitney Portal while ranking very high for scenery but ranks pretty medoicre for climbing(has the J-Tree type slab climbing but not the J-tree trad climbing, whereas Owens ranks very low for views (its a big pit), is just fun climbing (ok, most of the moves are repetative but its good for a few days)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored