Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#11142 - 03/01/04 05:26 PM Teton questions.
jdw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut
Last year's trip to the Wind Rivers in Wyoming was so much fun I'm planning a Wind Rivers & Tetons trip for this August. I'm looking for some advice on a place to stay for a couple of days in Jackson (or elsewhere close) to rest between backcountry trips. I'm thinking of something reasonably cheap, but comfortable for a couple of days rest - pool, jacuzzi, near bars & restaurants. etc would be good - any suggestions?

Advice on hiking, camping, and climbing easy routes in the Tetons would be appreciated, as I've never been to the Tetons in the summer.

Thanks,
JDW

#11143 - 03/01/04 06:15 PM Re: Teton questions. [Re: jdw]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
there's a bunch of "reasonable" (by J-Hole standards) hotels in town ($100-$120/night, and probably cheaper if you plan ahead; check out www.jacksonhole.com). I think the Forty Niner is pretty cheap in the summer. But do yourself a favor and definitely check out the AAC Climber's Ranch. At only $8 a night, it's the best deal in "town," the accomodations are comfortable, and it's a great place to meet lots of cool people. The prime camping spots in the Park are hard to come by (generally first-come, first served), but there's always room at the Gros Ventre and other outlying campsites. For backcountry permits, I'd suggest calling the NPS as soon as you can. You can reserve backcountry spots for a $15 fee after January 1st. Waiting in line the morning of your climb can eat up an entire morning, so plan ahead. Check the NPS/Grand Teton National Park website for all this info.

As for routes, it of course depends on your experience and climbing level. I found the grades slightly soft, though you are usually carrying a pack and dealing with altitude. Irene's Arete in Garnet Canyon is a must-do (it goes at 5.8 or 5.10, depending on how you do it), easily accessible, doable in a day from the car, and it's stellar. The Snaz in Death Canyon (5.10) is also fantastic, accessible and doable in a day. I didn't get on the Direct Exum, but I'm told it's phenomenal. I did manage to do the Wittich Crack (5.6) variation to the Owen-Spaulding route on the Grand (got turned back by a storm near the summit), and it was well-worth doing, but only if you can't get the Upper Exum or Direct Exum for some reason. See my trip report in the Trip Reports section. It's long, but you may find it useful. By all means, if it's within your ability and you have the time, do the Direct South Buttress on Mt. Moran. It's the best single climb I've ever done (but admittedly, I haven't been out to the Valley yet).

#11144 - 03/02/04 12:16 AM Re: Teton questions. [Re: nerdom]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
I've stayed at the Hostel X and found great accomodations if you want a slight step up from the Ranch. You get a private room/shower, plus access to a great little lounge and bar-b-q grill among other things. It's in Teton Village, about halfway between Jackson and GTNP. That's where the ski resort is, and there's a small selection of restaurants and whatnot.

The owner is a great guy and you will be well taken care of. That said, you must spend some time at the Ranch just to bullshit w/ other climbers all night.

#11145 - 03/02/04 12:19 AM Re: Teton questions. [Re: jdw]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
Oh, and I have some time off in August (2 or 3 weeks) and would definitely dig getting out there...

#11146 - 03/06/04 08:11 PM Re: Teton questions. [Re: jdw]
edthomas Offline

Loc: Albany
Jonathon
A few years back, we stayed at the Anvil Motel in Jackson Hole.
I guess you'ld say it was reasonable, given how crowded the place is.

As for climbing at modest level, we did the West Ridge of
Disappointment Peak ( which, as it happens, is a Kraus route...so
we were intrigued by that) and the Owen Spaulding on the Grand.
Watching the sun rise in Wyoming and cast shadows far out into Idaho
was something to remember...so, as long as you are there, see about
doing the Grand.

The hike up and back would probably be easy for active backpackers,
but made a full day for a couple of 60 year olds, who were used to driving
to the Gunks, getting out of the car and climbing.

Good luck!

#11147 - 03/07/04 09:29 PM Re: Teton questions. [Re: jdw]
crackers Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: pdx
there are plenty of dirtbag camping spots too.

but the jacuzzi's tend to be cold lakes, the pool tables are at the bar...

but you can always drive over to driggs to hang out for a day or two in a much nicer place than jackson.

#11148 - 03/08/04 02:52 PM Re: Teton questions. [Re: crackers]
jdw Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut
You're kidding about Driggs, right?

The one time was in Driggs was on a bus to Grand Targhee ski area. All I remember was a gas station and an auto parts store. I'd be pretty surprised if there was even a hotel!

JDW

#11149 - 03/08/04 06:56 PM Re: Teton questions. [Re: jdw]
paulraphael Offline
enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
driggs is actually cool. i'm sure there's a hotel, and a great climbing store that's a patagonia outlet (mountaineering outfitters--"cultural hub of the rockies.")

but it's a haul ... kind of a drag to drive the pass every time you want to get to jackson hole. that being said, a lot of the real locals actually live in driggs, since it's all most people can afford.

here are some favorite routes of mine ...
3rd +4th class:
east face of teewinot (short and beautiful)
east face of buck (challenging with snow, but fun)
east ridge of symmetry spire
easy to moderate 5th class:
koven route on owen (long, manky, and awesome)
skillet glacier on moran
south east ridge and durrance ridge on symmetry
exum ridge on the grand (trade route .. beware. but beautiful)

also, consider irene's arete ... i haven't done it, and it's more of a multipitch trad climb than an alpine climb, but a lot of people say it's their fave climb in the tetons.

i'll be in the tetons from the end of june through july 13. anyone else out there?

#11150 - 03/08/04 07:49 PM Re: Teton questions. [Re: paulraphael]
nerdom Offline
Pooh-Bah *

Loc: Davis Sq., MA
just a warning on some of those climbs: you'll need ice axe and crampons for many of them depending on when you go. E. Face of Teewinot last year had LOTS of snow still on it when I was there in July (indeed, there was an accident on it while I was out there; guy slipped and couldn't arrest; got hurt badly). In contrast, the year before, I was there in early-mid August, and there was not a spot of snow on the entire face, it was a 3rd-4th class scramble on pure rock the entire way. It pays to call ahead and speak to the climbing rangers at Jenny Lake about conditions. Those dudes climb the routes nearly every day.

Also, CMC route on Moran is another option.

#11151 - 03/08/04 08:43 PM Re: Teton questions. [Re: nerdom]
paulraphael Offline
enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
<<you'll need ice axe and crampons for many of them depending on when you go. >>

i bring an axe on almost everything out there. a lot of the time it never leaves my pack, but it makes me feel cool.

crampons i only bring on routes with a real snow or ice climb, because they dictate heavier footwear than i'd like to wear most of the time.

i did get bad beta once from the guys at teton mountaineering. was told the couloir on the koven rt. was bone dry, so we tried to do the route in running shoes. it turned out to be filled with hundreds of feet of rock-hard snow. our choices were to cut steps or improvise rock pitches to the side of the couloir. we chose the latter--the climbing was cool, but it wasted a lot of time and we ended up getting spanked.

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored