Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#11171 - 03/05/04 02:14 PM trail maps
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
do you have any preferences to what you might find on a trail map? Do you prefer one organization's (or comapny's, eg ADK, AMC, NY-NJ Trail Conf.) maps over another for the same area? why?

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#11172 - 03/05/04 03:04 PM Re: trail maps [Re: empicard]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
For the catskills, you just can't beat the NYNJTC maps. Tyvek so they can take a beating and won't get destroyed when they get wet, trail desriptions on the maps, easy to pack even if you are hiking without a pack or anything. The maps from ADK need to be coated, and carrying a book just isn't always practical. It is nice to have the book to have longer descriptions and more info, so I like to have both but the books hardly ever comewith me on a hike.

#11173 - 03/05/04 03:39 PM Re: trail maps [Re: empicard]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
Most of my hiking is down here in PA and VA, WV.
I love the PATC maps, those for Shenandoah NP. Up to date and great to read.

When I look at a topo for a while, the features begin to be 3D in my head. I can see the hills and ridges and the lines seem to blend away. I love that.

I hate having to treat a map. They should all be water proof.

I have wished for maps that overlap. It's a pain to need two maps at the same time on a trail. In these cases I scan both maps and merge them with a photo editer, then print them out.
Anyone use an online topo company? Expensive.

#11174 - 03/05/04 04:54 PM Re: trail maps [Re: pitfall]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
the thing that annoys me in the catskills and daks, is when you put together your own loop, youre often doing a little of this trail, some of that trail, a little more of the other trail, and not always in the order its in in the guide book. man, i have to subtract? i hate that.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#11175 - 03/05/04 05:23 PM Re: trail maps [Re: empicard]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I have Topo which lets me print out my own maps. Otherwise, the Trail Conference is definitely the way to go. BTW, they're launching a new New Jersey Walk Book very soon (if it's not out already).

#11176 - 03/08/04 03:53 AM Re: trail maps [Re: GeeVee]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Some things I don't like about the trail conference are the fact that each one is a different scale, often misleading people with little map reading skills and making them think a hike is longer or shorter than it really is. Another problem, (for me anyway) is the fact that the maps are oriented to magnetic north, skewing everything 13 1/2 degrees to the west. Another problem is the topo lines are for the most part at 100 foot intervals. This makes the Catskills and Shawangunks look as if they have very little relief. This again can lead people into trouble. The Tyvek paper is good however.

RR

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored