Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 13 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#11431 - 03/27/04 03:57 AM Gunks hiking study
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
Okay, seeing that the last post in this section was almost a month ago, I'm going to start a study. I'll let you know what my findings are after I have a few responses. Here are the questions.
1. What is your favorite hike on the Shawangunk Ridge?
2. Why?
3. How many times in the past 12 months have you hiked on the ridge, independently of climbing?
4. Is Sam's Point north or south of the Mohonk Preserve?

Let the study begin!!

RR

#11432 - 03/27/04 05:13 AM Re: Gunks hiking study [Re: RangerRob]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
I like to hike, but only when I can't go climbing at a place like the Gunks... I can't begin to fathom being at the Gunks on a nice (or even less than miserable) day and not roping up (or at least bouldering!)

I've never hiked anything but the carriage path to get to climbs. Probably never will unless I move up there and the novelty of being able to climb at the Gunks everyday wears off (which could take a lllloooonnnggg time).

#11433 - 03/27/04 03:18 PM Re: Gunks hiking study [Re: RangerRob]
MurphysLaw Offline
gumby

Loc: Hudson Valley, NY
1 - a tie between the Millbrook Ridge trail and the Giant's Workshop loop.

2 - because they are both awesome.
(Millbrook for the views, Giant's Workshop for the great scrambling and cool rock formations)

3 - maybe 4 times in past 12 mos I hiked (or ran) there only.
(I live just under an hour away from the Preserve. That's a long way to drive to 'just' go hiking, when there are dozens of great hikes 5-30 mins from my home)

4- Dunno for sure w/o a map (never been there), my guess is South.
It's actually a ways West too, that part I do know. I think.

#11434 - 03/27/04 05:14 PM Re: Gunks hiking study [Re: intrepid02]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Quote:

I like to hike, but only when I can't go climbing at a place like the Gunks... I can't begin to fathom being at the Gunks on a nice (or even less than miserable) day and not roping up (or at least bouldering!)

I've never hiked anything but the carriage path to get to climbs. Probably never will unless I move up there and the novelty of being able to climb at the Gunks everyday wears off (which could take a lllloooonnnggg time).

I was like that until shoulder soreness compelled me to lay off for a while. Not that I wish you ill, but something like that happens once in a while to make one temporarily switch pastimes. The hiking was so nice, I deemed it a decent "consolation prize."

#11435 - 03/28/04 01:49 PM Re: Gunks hiking study [Re: RangerRob]
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

In response....
1. Bonticou, either by carriage road or backcountry trails
2. BLUEBERRIES.... Mmmmmm some of the best wild blueberries when they come in season, use them for everything from muffins and pancakes to smoothies...mmmmmm.... Plus is kind of quiet for the most part considering some of the more high traffic areas.
3. Probably 15-20.
4. At the very southern tip of the ridge...

#11436 - 03/28/04 02:06 PM Re: Gunks hiking study [Re: RangerRob]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan
1-2. Tough call. I absolutely love hiking out to verkeederkill falls on a late summer afternoon when there are few people there. It can be an oasis of solitude. The short bush pines are a unique environment and I love hiking down the ridge among them. Then again, there's my favorite x-c ski from minnewaska lake to castle point. That's a beauty, also sparsely populated on the right day. Last year I hiked out to Gertrude's Nose along millbrook ridge trail in the pouring rain. Nice. I'd go with Sam's to VKFalls as my favorite, but the other two are close seconds. MInd you, I still have more places to explore in the area...but for a good time, I look for natural beauty, interesting features (Sam's Point, the scrub pines, a swimming hole, ridges, vistas), and as few people as possible.

3. None sadly. But that's been more a function of my time being spent commuting on the weekends and surgery/injuries. Usually, I'll go up just for hiking at least 4 times in a 12 month period.

4. SW.

Do I get a t-shirt now?

#11437 - 03/29/04 06:57 PM Re: Gunks hiking study [Re: RangerRob]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
favorite hike:
start at coxing kill parking area up to kings lane, follow unmarked trail to high peterskill trail to mossy glen trail then awosting lake carrigeway to the lake for a dip and lunch.

return:
long path to castle point carrigeway to millbrook drive to gertrudes nose trail to coxing trail, trapps carrigeway to red (coxing trail) to car and perhaps another dip at the swimming hole.

why: long hike, changing terrain, not too strenuous, great for summer.

i have hiked 5-6 times on the ridge in the last year

sams point: southwest

havent officially been to s/ p though when i was younger i was taken to cragsmoor jumped over a small gap to a tower with a greatful dead symbol painted on it, under the tower there were ice caves so i assume i was there before the visitor center was built. we accesed the area from a cul de sac and hiked a short time to get to the area?

#11438 - 03/29/04 07:05 PM Re: Gunks hiking study [Re: RangerRob]
tico Offline
addict

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Quote:

Okay, seeing that the last post in this section was almost a month ago, I'm going to start a study. I'll let you know what my findings are after I have a few responses. Here are the questions.
1. What is your favorite hike on the Shawangunk Ridge?
2. Why?
3. How many times in the past 12 months have you hiked on the ridge, independently of climbing?
4. Is Sam's Point north or south of the Mohonk Preserve?

Let the study begin!!

RR

Define "hike". I rarely put a pack and boots on, but i travel by foot on and around the ridge frequently. What's the difference between hiking quickly and jogging slowly?

#11439 - 03/29/04 07:34 PM Re: Gunks hiking study [Re: tico]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
hiking: one foot usually planted on ground

jogging: a little hang time involved

#11440 - 10/10/06 08:42 PM Re: Gunks hiking study [Re: charliebutters]
davel Offline
stranger

Still too much of a newbie, only hiked the Gunks for 2 days (after wanting to visit for over 10 years). We hiked from the Preserve Visitor Center to the Picnic lodge and it was a bit too long for the wife, but we loved going up the Giant's path, I wish we had gone down the same circuit, but my maps were out of date and only showed the one trail. The views ontop were outstanding.
The next day after biking we took a much shorter route - the Millbrook Ridge Trail to Bayards Path to Trapps Carraige Road. This was almost too easy for such fantastic views.

I rate both the Giants Workshop (or what we saw of it) and Millbrook very high. Hard to say one is better than the other. Giants is fun scrambling and Millbrook is great for the views. As others have said on this site, the carriage ways are boring to walk for kids (at least my 10 year old thought so). It is a pretty long slog to the Giant's path from the Preserve Visitor Center, I agree with others who suggest biking there or going in via the Mountain House.

Our family can't wait to check out other trails at the Gunks; I hope in less than another 10 years!

BTW, I'm sure Sam's Point is South, but I have no idea where. I'd like to go there, but I'm a bit turned off by the descriptions about how it used to be developed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored