Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#11578 - 04/12/04 07:52 PM Socks
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
I've always worn merino wool socks for hiking. Is there a better option out there? Something lightweight?

#11579 - 04/13/04 12:22 AM Re: Socks [Re: d-elvis]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
I wear the thinnest liner socks I can find inside Polypro socks, the heavier hiking kind.
A little warm sometimes but my feet sweat no matter what I wear.

I hate Wool. I hate how they compact and then the grid pattern presses into my feet.

#11580 - 04/13/04 12:42 AM Re: Socks [Re: Chooch]
charliebutters Offline
addict

Loc: accord
i like light hiking socks all year long.
fast drying, cheaper, and i can wear them with all my footwear daily.
wool socks are too hot and bulky for me.
i am a very warm person though.
thorlos and ems light and mid weight socks are my favorite, smartwool makes me sweat alot and take a long time to dry.

#11581 - 04/13/04 09:55 PM Re: Socks [Re: charliebutters]
paulraphael Offline
enthusiast

Loc: New York, NY
the best i've found are the bridgedale socks. i've only used them in the heaviest weight , for ice, but they have lots of lighter ones too. people i know who sell and use lots of brands tell me these hold up the best and don't lose their bulk. supposedly smart wool socks (which a lot of people seem to love) and thorlos flatten out sooner.

socks that mix wool and synthetics will keep you drier and dry faster than pure wool. but no one's figured out how to make an all synthetic sock that holds its bulk like a wool blend.

i've also had good luck with the patagonia socks, though they've changed the designs many times since i last bought them.

i ususally like a thin liner under my main sock, especially on overnight trips. for this i always use a patagonia capilene sock. they last a long time, don't shrink, don't stink (much) and keep wicking until there's nothing left.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored