Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#11621 - 04/22/04 07:55 PM Alaska!
webmaster Online   content

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
Wow. Finally getting to go. Been dreaming about this trip for a while, and now wondering exactly where to go.

I'm going to start in either Fairbanks or Anchorage, and will be there about 10 days. Wondering if any of you have been up that way and have any suggestions. Was thinking of heading to Denali National Park, or to the Kenai Peninsula, but there are just vague ideas at the moment. Will probably arrive there the first week of June.

Would like to hike, fish, maybe kayak.

-em

#11622 - 04/23/04 05:01 PM Re: Alaska! [Re: webmaster]
tico Offline
addict

Loc: Gardiner, NY
There are widely different things to do whether you're on the coast (ank) or interior (frbnks). I would stay coastal, as the seabreeze will make the insects more bearable (speaking of bears..). if you go inland, spend some money on a plane ride through DNP. If you want the big fish, go out to yakutat and hire a guide. i'd also highly recommend getting in on a halibut charter boat. you'll proabably come away with 70 or 80 pounds of halibut, which the charter-guy will vacuum-pack and box for you. very convenient.

#11623 - 04/24/04 02:24 AM Re: Alaska! [Re: tico]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
Everyone I've known that has gone to AK seems to do the same coastal circuit. I've seen pix of the falls where the bears fish so often I tell my wife I don't need to go there. OTOH one buddy spent some time in the park (don't know it's name) that's the Land of 10,000 smokes. It was deserted and beautiful in a rugged, barren sort of way. I don't know anyone else who has been there, and he didn't see anyone in the 10 days he was in there. I personally would trek into the Ruth Gorge if I had to go up there.

#11624 - 04/27/04 10:42 PM Re: Alaska! [Re: Mike Rawdon]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
You won't see anyone in the Ruth Gorge!!

RR

#11625 - 04/30/04 01:32 AM Re: Alaska! [Re: RangerRob]
Ewick Offline

Loc: Do you mean now
Wrangell-St Elias NP is supposed to be amazing, will always kick myself in the keister for not heading there. Here's a link http://www.nps.gov/wrst/index.htm

#11626 - 04/30/04 02:52 PM Re: Alaska! [Re: Ewick]
tico Offline
addict

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Quote:

Wrangell-St Elias NP is supposed to be amazing, will always kick myself in the keister for not heading there. Here's a link http://www.nps.gov/wrst/index.htm

That's where i worked a couple of years ago. Actually, if you end up anchored down in anchorage, rent a car and drive up the mccarthy road. nice, not-as-crowded, new visitor center. You'll be breaking your rental contract by driving on gravel road though. and heed the warnings about bears. they're thick and used to people there.

#11627 - 04/30/04 03:08 PM Re: Alaska! [Re: tico]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
joke:
whats the difference between a rental car with insurance and a 4x4?

joke answer:
the rental car can go ANYWHERE.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#11628 - 05/07/04 07:19 AM Re: Alaska! [Re: webmaster]
mikeymike Offline
journeyman

I'm up in fairbanks now. I would say fly into anchorage and do everything out of there. You have the Kenai peninsula and chugach state park right next to anchorage to visit. Denali is about 4-4.5 hours north of anchorage on the parks, but its a nice drive through the mountains. 10 days isnt much time to see a lot of stuff here. You need 2 or more weeks to enjoy and not be rushed if you want to see any of the remote parks like lake clark, gates of the arctic, or kobuk valley. Hiring bush pilots to get you out to them can also be pricey. Beware of bears, they're out now. They had a mauling in homer a few weeks ago. Mosquitos are starting to come out now in the interior, by early june they will be nasty. I'd say fly into anchorage, spend a few days in seward fishing and hiking...you might be able to get some glacier hiking in down there, then head up to denali for a few days. That will be about all the time you have if you only have 10 days. Just my two cents.

#11629 - 05/21/04 03:08 PM Re: Alaska! [Re: webmaster]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
Someone already mentioned Homer (for the bear mauling) but it's a neat place. For Halibut fishing try Silver Fox charters in Homer. True North Kayak Adventures is (was) a good place to rent sea kayaks in Homer (kayak@xyz.net was the web site if it's still up) run by Alison O'Hara and Kevin Bell. Nice people. Hopefully they are still in business. Nice kayaking around Homer. Good beer at the Homer Brewing Company.

If you get to Seward, see the aquarium/museum paid for with Exxon's money and hike to the Exit Glacier (very short hike).

Watch the fast tide come into the bay south of Anchorage.

Take the train to Whittier and do one of the tacky bay cruises (pretty fun actually) if it's still the off season (great deals if it is).

TS

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored