Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#11630 - 04/23/04 01:59 PM Birdie Party
climbon Offline

Loc: NYC
Did P1 of Birdie party recently and there was a squirrel living in the second large horizontal crack. He/she was very aggresive. From what I heard that day someone had been bitten that morning and another climber told me he was bitten a couple of months ago. Squirrel was growling and clicking its teeth...pretty strange. Maybe it has a nest of young ones its protecting? Its possible to go to the right (a bit harder) then traverse back on to the route just above the crack, which is what I did.

#11631 - 04/23/04 02:15 PM Re: Birdie Party [Re: climbon]
sohwhat Offline
enthusiast

Loc: 10001
good thing i already got my rabies shot.

#11632 - 04/23/04 02:23 PM Re: Birdie Party [Re: sohwhat]
Smike Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: in your backyard
shoot it.

#11633 - 04/23/04 04:42 PM Re: Birdie Party [Re: climbon]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
Yes, two people got bit the day we were there (two weeks ago?) and the second one knew about the first one so being warned didn't save him. I don't know what kinds of diseases squirrels might be carrying but I don't think getting bit by one is a good plan. Maybe if one of the guys who got bit sees this he can tell us what his doctor said.

#11634 - 04/23/04 07:01 PM Re: Birdie Party [Re: dalguard]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
the thing you need to worry about is tetnus if the bit broke the skin

they can carry rabies but its unlikely

from web page

It is unlikely that a squirrel will bite a human hard or deep enough to require stiches, but infections are always a risk. Those bitten should wash the wound site and surrounding area with soap and water. It is acceptable but not necessary to further clean the wound with an antiseptic agent such as isopropyl alcohol or diluted hydrogen peroxide. Deep wounds should always be examined and cared for by an appropriate medical personnel.

Tetnus shots are important for such bites. The recommendation is to get a tetnus injection or a booster shot within twenty-four hours of the biting incident if the person bitten has not had such a booster within the previous five years. Rabies may be carried by squirrels, but this is rare.

#11635 - 04/25/04 01:19 AM Re: Birdie Party [Re: CrackBoy]
Allenperry Offline

Loc: Reading, Pennsylvania
Quote:

the thing you need to worry about is tetnus if the bit broke the skin

they can carry rabies but its unlikely...Tetnus shots are important for such bites. The recommendation is to get a tetnus injection or a booster shot within twenty-four hours of the biting incident if the person bitten has not had such a booster within the previous five years. Rabies may be carried by squirrels, but this is rare.

If the squirrel has been there for some time (Weeks?) it is also highly unlikely it would be rabid because rabies kills pretty quickly after symptoms begins. The CDC web site has good info. I researched it pretty hard after my bat encounter on Something Interesting last August. Watch that hand-jam on the crux Went through the whole rabies shots series. Below is an excerpt from the CDC site that deals with a bat bite incident. But I think it illustrates the danger of not taking appropiate action any time you're bitten by a wild animal. Put it this way, that squirrel would have been traveling home with me in a zip-loc bag if I were bitten. (Preserve or not)

Warning: The following quote may get the self-proclaimed thead-deviation nazi watch-dogs in an uproar.

Perry
-----------------------------
Case study
In February 1995, the aunt of a 4-year-old girl was awakened by the sounds of a bat in the room where the child was sleeping. The child did not wake up until the bat was captured, killed, and discarded. The girl reported no bite, and no evidence of a bite wound was found when she was examined. One month later the child became sick and died of rabies. The dead bat was recovered from the yard and tested--it had rabies.

This case demonstrates several points:

This child's infection with rabies was most likely the result of a bat bite. Children sleep heavily and may not awaken from the presence of a small bat. A bat bite can be superficial and not easily noticed.
The bat was behaving abnormally. Instead of hiding, the bat was making unusual noises and was having difficulty flying. This strange behavior should have led to a strong suspicion of rabies.
If the bat had been submitted for rabies testing, a positive test would have led to life-saving anti-rabies treatment.
Remember, in situations in which a bat is physically present and you cannot reasonably rule out having been bitten, safely capture the bat for rabies testing and seek medical attention immediately.

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
National Center for Infectious Diseases
Rabies Section MS G-33
1600 Clifton Road
Atlanta, Georgia 30333
www.cdc.gov/ncidod/dvrd/rabies

#11636 - 04/26/04 11:59 PM Re: Birdie Party [Re: climbon]
jj221 Offline

Loc: Morristown, NJ
A possible cliff closure for squirrel nesting?

Edited by jj221 (04/27/04 12:00 AM)

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored