Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#11776 - 09/13/04 05:22 PM Re: Adirondack Day Hike Suggestions [Re: strat]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
Strat:
There were 18 trail crew workers last summer ('03). As a result of fund cutting, they could only afford 2 this summer...
there is no way, given how much rain the park received this summer, that even 10 would be able to keep up.

The added erosion as a result of enlarging trails that used to be narrow by trying to avoid stepping in mud will compound the problem even more for years to come on trails that didn't have a steady mud problem to begin with.

I backpacked 60 miles, 50 in ankle deep mud. The park rangers I spoke with were getting a lot of grief from hikers. He went into great lengths to explain that they cannot keep up with the trail maintenance demands as a result of heavy usage. Hence my suggestion to stay away from those peaks.

The Park itself recommends staying away from the High Peaks during the spring season because of the mud. Ankle deep mud in August at any elevation should grant this recommendation as well.

Given the cut in budget and the rain, there aren't many other alternatives but to try to give these mountains a break.

#11777 - 09/13/04 05:30 PM Re: Adirondack Day Hike Suggestions [Re: Mim]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Mim,
Specifically, which high peaks did you backpack that had ankle deep mud for 50 miles that you are recommending people avoid.
Thanks
strat

#11778 - 09/13/04 07:29 PM Re: Adirondack Day Hike Suggestions [Re: strat]
Mim Offline
old hand

Loc: Gunks
Northlake-Placid Trail = mud
Connecting trail to Cold River 3&4 lean-to, including trail to Indian Pass = mud
Two trails from Forge Parking lot = mud
Floats to Colden = Mud
Colden to Panther Gorge Lean-to = Mud
From Lean-to to parking lot = NO mud.
Dix = Mud

#11779 - 09/13/04 07:32 PM Re: Adirondack Day Hike Suggestions [Re: Mim]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Thank you for clarifying that you did not hike any of the peaks that were recommended by others such as Algonquin, Cascade, Porter, Big Slide, Noonmark, Hurricane Mountain, and Giant.

#11780 - 09/16/04 12:32 PM Re: Adirondack Day Hike Suggestions [Re: fallenglass]
pda Offline
addict

Loc: Bergen County NJ
I just took 2 young kids up Chimney Mountain (near Indian Lake) 2 weeks ago. RT is about 2.5 miles. There is a 40-foot rock pinnacle at the summit that requires technical skills to climb, but there is plenty of scrambling for the kids. There are also a number of small caves and one larger cave to explore. The large one requires technical equipment also.

Just another data point for a nice kid-appropriate day hike.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored