Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#11875 - 05/12/04 09:36 PM Hiking: Bandalier, El Morro..?
cori Offline
veteran

OK - the hiking topics are fir the Hudson valley so I did not know where to post this.

we are going to New Mexico next week. Want to see ruins, camp, and hike. Was wondering if anyone has any experience hiking around the New Mexico/Navajo Nation area that they wanted to share/reccomend?

There are no sheep out there, just to nip that thread drift in the bud (D-Elvis!).

#11876 - 05/12/04 10:11 PM Re: Hiking: Bandalier, El Morro..? [Re: cori]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Cori,
I hiked Santa Fe Baldy and Wheeler Peaks in New Mexico. They were both nice, although Wheeler Peak was a bit of a grind. I don't know how far these places are from where you're going.
Have fun.
Sam

#11877 - 05/13/04 12:47 PM Re: Hiking: Bandalier, El Morro..? [Re: cori]
groundhog Offline

Loc: southern NJ
Bandelier probably has some of the nicest variety of trails of the areas mentioned... nice streams, shady valleys, cliffs... El Morro was more of a stop & see. One area to check out in the vicinity of El Morro would be El Malpais - interesting lava tubes, tho' the hiking can be on the rough side (lava fields & scrub pine). Don't try to hike on Indian lands - you are likely to be run off. Also, since it sounds like you will be north and west of Santa Fe, the Valles Caldera north of Jemez may be worth a look at. Probably some of the greatest hiking potential; when I was there it was privately owned, & I understand it is now in public ownership.

#11878 - 05/13/04 02:10 PM Re: Hiking: Bandalier, El Morro..? [Re: cori]
alicex4 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

We stayed on the Navajo Reservation in Shiprock when my sister in law was doing her Dr. government service. Flew in from Albuquerque to Farmington. Don't fly out when Farmington is holding their college baseball series, your luggage won't be on the same flight you are! Great, beautiful location. No alcohol on BLM land, don't pet the stray dogs-they'll never leave you alone and they have fleas (plague). Shiprock is magnigicent.

Edited by alicex4 (05/13/04 02:12 PM)

#11879 - 05/13/04 02:54 PM Re: Hiking: Bandalier, El Morro..? [Re: cori]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Visit Bisti Badlands if you get the chance. Perhaps not the greatest hiking but fabulous rock formations. Not very well known so there's rarely anyone else around. More details here. Caution: after rain the mud is slicker than snot, I was skating all over the place - but you all know how I am at keeping my feet on the slippery stuff.

Of course, had they not renamed it you could also have driven on Route 666 while you were there.

#11880 - 05/24/04 05:33 PM Re: Hiking: Bandalier, El Morro..? [Re: GeeVee]
cori Offline
veteran

Thanks everyone for your help with this! We did a lot of great stuff - saw shiprock - did the old 666 - but unfortunately missed Morro/Malpais. Did one amazing hike at Bandalier which was more of a walk than a hike, but was a blast anyway. Ended up at Chaco as well and spent time on the Navajo reservation. Hiked every day!

#11881 - 05/24/04 06:50 PM Re: Hiking: Bandalier, El Morro..? [Re: cori]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

did the old 666

Woo-woo - Cori on the Highway to Hell!

#11882 - 05/24/04 08:46 PM Re: Hiking: Bandalier, El Morro..? [Re: GeeVee]
cori Offline
veteran

It WAS hell. We spent 3 days looking for it before we realized it was renamed. I will try to get some pics out on the trip for those who are intersted a bit later in the week.

#11883 - 05/24/04 09:07 PM Re: Hiking: Bandalier, El Morro..? [Re: cori]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

We spent 3 days looking for it before we realized it was renamed.

What did I tell you? On May 13th I wrote:

Of course, had they not renamed it you could also have driven on Route 666 while you were there.

Doh!

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored