Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 17 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#12011 - 06/01/04 01:02 PM Backcountry Recipies
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
While in Alaska, I'll likely be back country camping for several days at a time. Do any of you have some favorite recipies for camping? I'm talking recipes here, not your taking out of the can or bag and eat it. I'm talking real food that needs to prepared.

Thanks.
-em

#12012 - 06/01/04 01:25 PM Re: Backcountry Recipies [Re: webmaster]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
how complicated are we talking? one of my favorites is tunamac - 1 box of mac and cheese, 1 can/packet of tuna, mix. add as much spice as you'd like. i like it spicy.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#12013 - 06/01/04 02:16 PM Re: Backcountry Recipies [Re: empicard]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

ugh! picard!! that sounds like my couin's tuna surprise...it's gross...

real basic, try this out:
use a knorr sauce packet, like basil/tomato, pepper/something....bring some dehydrated mushrooms (buy some expensive ones or do it yourself for cheap), angel hair pasta, salt, pepper, olive oil, thyme, oregano, parsley, maybe some rosemary instread, an onion (only use half) and some pre-minced garlic in olive oil. bring the angel hair because it cooks faster than anything else (except cous cous).

heat some water with the dried mushrooms, cover and let sit to rehydrate the mushrooms. it helps to use a bit more than what the knorr sauce packet calls for.

then boil the water for the pasta (which you can break up to make for easier eating and sauce intergration), add the pasta and cook until it is NOT done. put aside and cover (it will continue to cook in the water as it cools, but still stay warm).

start the knorr sauce packet by first chopping your onion, adding some garlic/olive oil to the pan and sauteing (sp?) for a minute or two (it's easy to burn using a lightwight campset).

add the water from the mushrooms (check that they're rehyrdated---timing is everything in this to have a good meal and use your fuel efficiently) and the mix from the knorr packet and follow the instructions until it's done. add the seasoning you want.

drain the water from the pasta, add the sauce (which will be amazingly enhanced with mushrooms, onion, garlic, olive oil and so on...) and sprinkle with some parm.

crack open that bottle cabernet you lugged up 3000 feet and enjoy life, because it doesn't get any better!

did I ever tell you about the time I had to fight off climbers at the base hut for Mount Robson because I made a home-made marinara sauce with this aussie girl I met and was travelling with? they started gathering around at the smell. but then when I popped the cork on a bottole of red I'd hauled up 3000' with a sprained ankle, they came at me!! (and I didn't have a tire iron!!).

Then there's the three-bean vegetarian chili that's to die for. But it's a better kayaking treat than backpacking and is suited for 3-5 folks than 2.

I have a more if you want, Evan. Lemme know.

jk

#12014 - 06/01/04 02:23 PM Re: Backcountry Recipies [Re: webmaster]
tico Offline
addict

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Udon with a peanut butter and hotsauce sauce is a favorite of mine. I would recommend you stay away from really stinky food (e.g. tuna), unless you'd like to get mauled. Also be sure to get a some bear-canisters, and bring some perlon to hang your food from, and camp far away from your food. The "triangle formation" works pretty well for this.

#12015 - 06/01/04 02:49 PM Re: Backcountry Recipies [Re: tico]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan

yeah, what tico said. i never carry meats or fish in bear country. and i always hike and cook in one set of clothes and sleep in another. hang the food downwind (if possible). my favorite configuration for hanging food is on a line rigged high over a stream with an access cord to pull it back from center stream. it gives you a couple of extra feet off the ground (rigging from a stream bank) and helps disuade the little critters from going for it when their exit jump is into water. and in 10 weeks in the canadian rockies in 1995, i never saw a single bear .

but this is thread heist and i apologize. it's tico's fault. he made me do it. he's a super-human barefoot running freak.

#12016 - 06/01/04 02:58 PM Re: Backcountry Recipies [Re: JoeKayak]
tico Offline
addict

Loc: Gardiner, NY
This isn't thread heist; we're talking recipes:

"Mauled Evan"

1 Evan
Some tuna
1 large brown bear, a black bear can be substituted
Some bad habits

Mix the ingredients far from civilization. Voila!

#12017 - 06/01/04 03:03 PM Re: Backcountry Recipies [Re: tico]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
well, dont forget. its the evan of your choice.
good point on the tuna. tuna in bear country sounds like a horrible idea.
although the bear might think its a great idea.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#12018 - 06/01/04 06:19 PM Re: Backcountry Recipies [Re: webmaster]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
Don't forget the cocktails. Bacardi 151 is always a good choice as you don't need to carry as much to get a buzz. Mix with a little Tang or Gatorade powder and after a couple who cares what's for dinner.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored