Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#12228 - 06/17/04 07:35 PM Catskills marathon
stimpy Offline
Site Supporter

Many years ago I did Devil's Path in one day with the Catskills 3500 club. It's about 25 miles and the elevation gain totals about 16,000 ft. That time we hiked it west to east, starting with West Kill and finishing at Prediger Road. I also hiked it solo east to west. It's obviously a two car deal, so to do it solo I parked at West Kill and rode my bike to the Prediger road trailhead where I camped for the night, did the hike back to my car and then retrieved my bike and tent. Both times it took about 12 hrs. There's also the Escarpment trail version of this. From North/South lake to Windham High Peak. It's not quite as long and as much elevation as Devil's Path but I've heard that there's a trail run or race that covers this. Has anyone done this? Is there a similar hike in the Dacks? I did it because it was there, but I imagine it would be great training for an Alpine adventure.

#12229 - 06/18/04 03:02 PM Re: Catskills marathon [Re: stimpy]
Kevin Offline
enthusiast

I have never done this race, but here is the URL for this year's race...

Escarpment Trail Run

30 Kilometers from Windham to North Lake in Haines Falls, NY

Enjoy!
Kevin

#12230 - 06/18/04 08:27 PM Re: Catskills marathon [Re: Kevin]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
I did the Escarpment Trail Run about 20 years ago - definitely a lot of fun and one of the hardest things I ever ran. Note the qualifying standards - I thought I was in pretty good shape and it took me half as long again as my best marathon time.

#12231 - 06/18/04 08:39 PM Re: Catskills marathon [Re: GeeVee]
tico Offline
addict

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I'll probably get blasted for being elitist now, but doing better than a four hour 'thon isn't all that hard. i used to think that if you can't 'thon under 4 hours, you should probably not run them at all, but the more people are on the road, the less are on the trails, so i think everyone should run those stupid things.

#12232 - 09/15/04 07:48 PM Re: Catskills marathon [Re: tico]
RangerRob Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ulster County, NY
You friggin' elitist prick! Go crawl back under the rock you've been hiding!

RR

Tico has been freed!

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored