Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#12288 - 06/21/04 07:14 PM Kid Friendly Hikes
fallenglass Offline
enthusiast

Loc: cornwall
I went on a fun father's day hike yesterday up Long Mountain in Harriman (I'd never done it before). The kids loved it because it wasn't long and had just the right amount of scrambling for them. I liked it for the summit views.

Any other recommendations for kid friendly hikes?

A few weeks ago we hiked up to the Pitching Point between Storm King and Crows Nest mountains. It also has great views for very little work.

#12289 - 06/24/04 11:37 AM Re: Kid Friendly Hikes [Re: fallenglass]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
If you are in the mood for a bit of a longer drive, head up to North/South Lake state park in the Catskills. There are many kid friendly hikes of various distances and difficulties along the escarpment which overlooks the hudson valley. There are lakes to swim and fish in, picnic areas, and you can rent rowboats for something a little different. Sure it costs money since it's a state park but it's a great place to bring kids.

#12290 - 06/25/04 05:38 PM Re: Kid Friendly Hikes [Re: pitfall]
Mim Online   content
old hand

Loc: Gunks
There are lots of kid friendly hikes. In fact, there is a very good book about them. I have this book and have taken my kids on lots of the hikes they suggest.

The recipe that worked for my kids is this: bring lots of drinks and snacks (including food they normally cannot have in great quantities but now can, such as chocolate), have good company of friends, set a clear goal that they understand, follow a stream or go to a lake, avoid bug season or hot humid days, keep away from long steep hills, etc. Views are definitively a plus, if they can handle going up some. Rock scrambling is great, if kids are old enough.

Then there is this guide for all kinds of kid friendly outings.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored