Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 5 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#12787 - 08/23/04 03:39 PM Columbia
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Once you get to the top of the more moderate jug hauling in the thin crack/corner on Columbia, does the route pull the overhang on those thin crimpers or does it step left and back right?

I got on this yesterday. I spent a lot of time sewing up the bottom and investigated the crimpers a couple of times, but by the time that was done I was feeling too pumped to really want to commit to those tiny lil holds... traversed onto Southern Pillar at that point.

#12788 - 08/23/04 04:34 PM Re: Columbia [Re: pedestrian]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
I don't remember pulling an overhang. I thought it was pretty much a corner the whole way, steep in some places and dirty in others.

#12789 - 08/23/04 04:39 PM Re: Columbia [Re: dalguard]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Thanks, Dawn. So from what you remember, it was all steep jug hauling?

#12790 - 08/23/04 05:01 PM Re: Columbia [Re: pedestrian]
dalguard Offline
veteran

Loc: CT
Steven will chime in, no doubt, and his memory will be more accurate, but I thought all the hard stuff was in the first 20 feet or so off the belay, then you go somewhat left into a corner. Wander around in the corner left and right a bit, trying to avoid the harder and dirtier sections. When Todd led it he got himself into a hard spot with poor gear somewhere up there but when I followed him I just didn't go that way.

#12791 - 08/23/04 06:12 PM Re: Columbia [Re: pedestrian]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
thought it was pretty much a corner the whole way, steep in some places

it was all steep jug hauling?

Only followed it once but thatÂ’s how I remember it to. I thought it was the most gym like outside jug haul I had ever done. The one route where hauling jugs in a gym actually made me feel competent!

#12792 - 08/24/04 12:36 AM Re: Columbia [Re: dalguard]
Steven Cherry Offline

veteran

Loc: New York, N.Y.
My recollection is about the same as Dawn and Mark's, keeping in mind that I've only been on the route twice, once to lead it, then followed it once, and that was maybe 5 years ago.

The crux is the moves directly above the pin. After that, it opens up. The main thing I remember was after the corner, looking up and seeing some nice overhangs a little bit to the right, and thinking, "that's no harder than 5.8 and looks better than straight up." And it was at most 5.8, and very nice.

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored