Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#12793 - 08/23/04 06:23 PM Hawkeye
Coppertone Offline
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
Finally got on Hawkeye yesterday after having not gotten around to it for a while. Tried to climb the face straight up from the pine tree on the small ledge but found it to be completely lichen encrusted and the gear in the flaring crack to be less than poor. Decided to downclimb and do Three Doves into the roof which was really nice. I can't imagine that anyone has actually climbed that face in a long time, not only because the gear was so poor, but there was so much lichen that holds were difficult to identify and with such thin face climbing created a pretty dangerous situation. I know that this was disucssed recently, but has anyone actually led that face recently? The roof was great, but that face, ugh!

#12794 - 08/23/04 10:04 PM Re: Hawkeye [Re: Coppertone]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
I started the other discussion, I think, and we actually did P1 of something down there that I was trying to identify. So the other discussion is probably not relevant to the actual route.

Well, I have nothing to add, but, sounds like a real horror show. Good job keeping it together.

#12795 - 08/24/04 08:05 PM Re: Hawkeye [Re: Coppertone]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
I did Hawkeye about 6 years ago on one of those "Bop up to GTledge and do everything near Arrow days".

It was as you described it - very licheny. It was as if it had never been climbed. I was following, so I can't say about the gear. Not easy for us short folk (5.10bish ???). Of course, it could just be that I suck....

Not worht doing IMHO.

TS

#12796 - 08/24/04 08:35 PM Re: Hawkeye [Re: Timbo]
Coppertone Offline
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
Quote:

Not worht doing IMHO.

TS

The face was not worth doing, but the overhang was definitely worth the effort.

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored