Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#12972 - 09/12/04 11:01 PM Why is Pinnacle Path (skytop) closed?
Jannette Online   content

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Was hiking down from Skytop and noticed my old trail map had Pinnacle path on it (going back from Skytop to the entrance gate), and the Mohonk Mt House trail map didn't. When we got to the start of the trail, they had it closed off with a Trail Closed sign. I haven't hiked that trail in years, just curious if someone knows why it was closed - was it just a trail they decided not to maintain anymore? Or was it for safety (rockfall?) or environmental protection reasons?

Jannette

#12973 - 09/14/04 09:33 PM Re: Why is Pinnacle Path (skytop) closed? [Re: Jannette]
stimpy Offline
Site Supporter

Janette, The only hiking trail I can think of that was closed up there was the one that followed the top of the cliff from near the Tower to the top of Staircliff and continued toward Woodland bridge and the Gate House. If that's the one you are talking about it was closed after a female tourist hiking it fell off the cliff. The trail passed very close to the cliff in some spots and if you were hiking la-dee-dah and stumbled you could fall off. It happened around the time or just before Skytop was closed to climbing. If that's not it then I have no clue.

#12974 - 09/15/04 12:57 AM Re: Why is Pinnacle Path (skytop) closed? [Re: stimpy]
Chooch Offline
old hand

Loc: South East PA
Stimpy, I know that trail. I hiked it years ago, right after Skytop closed. I jumped the signs and baracade and enjoyed the trail. It has to be pretty over grown by now unless more souls jumped it since then.

#12975 - 09/15/04 01:24 AM Re: Why is Pinnacle Path (skytop) closed? [Re: Chooch]
Jannette Online   content

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Thanks for the history.
I hadn't hiked that trail since the days when I climbed at Skytop, so I didn't know it had been closed all these years.

Jannette

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored