and, baby snakes have fully developed poison.
Baby snakes can have more potent poison than adults, and baby snakes also have less control over how much they inject than adults, and thus may inject all their venom in one bite. Adult snakes vary the amount of poison injected depending on if it's a predatory or defensive strike, what they're biting, and how many times they've bitten.
Most snakes around here carry hemotoxins; if you've been injected you'll know pretty quickly from the burning pain. Other snakes, like the Mohave rattlesnake and coral snake, carry neurotoxins, which you might not feel for several hours; after which paralysis might set in so quickly you won't have time to get to a doctor.
In either case, it's best to get to a hospital as quickly as possible, even if you think no venom has been injected.
Oh yeah, and if you're susceptible to anaphylactic shock, let your partner and the rescue crew know since antivenom can induce it.
Oh yeah, forgot to add; I saw a baby copperhead Sunday at PK, he looked so cute but it was so cold I don't think he was going to move too far or too fast. I think generally he'd have slithered away.
Edited by quanto_the_mad (10/12/04 06:08 PM)