Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13394 - 10/25/04 07:29 PM AT Bindings??
d-elvis Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Central PA
Other than the Silvretta 500, is there another AT binding on the market that will accept plastic and leather climbing boots?

#13395 - 10/26/04 04:16 PM Re: AT Bindings?? [Re: d-elvis]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
no - the silvrettas are your only option.

skiing in mountaineering boots sucks really bad. i have one crappy pair of skis with silvrettas mounted for ice climbs with huge but flat approaches, and maybe for denali one day. in general, i prefer to climb ice in my AT boots(WI3 and below) or just carry in a second pair of boots.

#13396 - 10/27/04 10:38 PM Re: AT Bindings?? [Re: d-elvis]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

by the way, i hate the silvrettas. they are a pain to get in and out of, especially when its steep. the way they release scares me as well - i ski much more carefully in them for fear of ripping up an ankle or a knee. i do 99.9% of my skiing in fritschi diamirs, though i wish i had the freerides.

#13397 - 10/28/04 12:36 PM Re: AT Bindings?? [Re: andrew]
groundhog Offline

Loc: southern NJ
Andrew, not to hijack the post (I was gonna post on ttips but I'm here now), do you have any experience with the brakes on diamirs? I have a pair to put on, but can't visualize how they work without interfering while in uphill mode.

#13398 - 10/28/04 03:31 PM Re: AT Bindings?? [Re: groundhog]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

i have brakes on my diamirs. they don't interfere with uphill at all - when you click into the binding the brakes are even with the bottom of the boot and never go near even the top of the ski. i can post a picture if you like.

#13399 - 12/06/04 05:51 PM Re: AT Bindings?? [Re: andrew]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
I seem to recall that when I asked this question last year, someone suggested I ice climb in my ski boots, rather ski in my ice climbing boots. A friend of mine recently outfitted her AT skis with dynafit boots and bindings (presumably an old model of both since they were hugely on sale). And the boots do seem ice-climbable, although I haven't seen them in action yet... Also less scary on the release issue Andrew mentions above.

Then again, I ended up not skiing or buying ski gear at all last year, so am only beginning to get into it this year. So I don't actually know anything! Just reporting what others tell me...

-Carissa

#13400 - 12/07/04 05:52 PM Re: AT Bindings?? [Re: cfa]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Quote:

I seem to recall that when I asked this question last year, someone suggested I ice climb in my ski boots, rather ski in my ice climbing boots.

That seems to be the general consensus.

Quote:

A friend of mine recently outfitted her AT skis with dynafit boots and bindings (presumably an old model of both since they were hugely on sale). And the boots do seem ice-climbable, although I haven't seen them in action yet... Also less scary on the release issue Andrew mentions above.

Dynafit bindings are incredibly lightweight, great for touring and fast-and-light mountaineering. They're certainly suitable for aggressive downhills, and they do release better than those Silvretta wire-toes but there may be reasons not to trust the release as much as Fritschi or especially Naxo bindings for more extreme downhills. One issue is pre-release in the event that you decamber your skis in a bump trough. Check out www.wildsnow.com

#13401 - 12/21/04 09:16 AM Re: AT Bindings?? [Re: cfa]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
Hi Carissa,
That may have been me. Here in Switzerland, we do a lot of ski approaches to get to the climbing. While climbing in ski boots works well for many mountains, they don’t work as well for waterfall ice. My personal limit in ski boots is grade III ice; I have seen friends of mine climb grade V in their ski boots. For me, the skiing back down is a large part of the fun, so I like to have the performance of the ski boots. I’ve tried to ski in my plastic mountaineering boots that I usually use for waterfall ice and I find they just are not stiff enough to give me good skiing performance. What it come down to, is how you expect to use them, and what kind of performance you want. My personal set up is LOWA Stucktura EVO boots, Atomic Beta ride 9.22 skis with Diamir Titanal III bindings. My mountaineering boots are Kolach Varios.
Paul

#13402 - 12/27/04 06:40 PM Tele cuff [Re: d-elvis]
stimpy Offline
Site Supporter

Like everyone said, it would be better to climb in your AT boots than ski in your climbing boots. I started ice climbing in AT boots because I had a pair for snowboarding. It's not that bad on easier stuff, but they severely limit flexibility so forget high stepping in them.

Granite Gear used to make something called a Tele Cuff. It is a plastic cuff with three buckles that goes over the top of your climbing boots. There is a strap on the bottom that goes around your instep to keep the cuff from riding up. I thought it was a great idea to make your climbing boots more skiable. They don't weigh much, so you could strap them to the outside of your pack on the uphill approach, then put them on to make your ski out a lot more fun. I couldn't find them on the GG website, but here's a link so you can get an idea of what they look like.

http://uk.geocities.com/mankonoke/skiing/backcountry/equipment.html

#13403 - 01/19/05 05:49 AM Re: AT Bindings?? [Re: andrew]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
Quote:

i do 99.9% of my skiing in fritschi diamirs, though i wish i had the freerides.

Why is that? I'm considering the fritschis, now that I've decided I don't care about getting my ice boots into my skis. Plus my friend just ripped up her knee not releasing from her dynafits, so they're out too, I think. Also, I demo'd the dynafits myself, and they're a pain to get in and out of, at least for me. I did like the skis (slight thread drift here) in the demo package: K2 Summit 8611 Superlights. They're certainly, well, superlight. Together with the Scarpa Magic boots, I enjoyed the combination. Though it was a fairly mellow day, so I can't say anything about the outer reaches of their performance.

-Carissa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored