Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 2 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#13565 - 11/10/04 09:29 PM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: Julie]
talus Offline
veteran

really when i did these routes in 1 pitch to the gt ledge i had no problem finding gear. there is no need for bolts imo. but if you must cry about bolts this is not the place for it. Ok so what you need to do is send a letter to Hank saying TM needs bolts and there is a committee that will review your request for bolts. I believe the first priority to install bolts in the gunks is safety.

the Trapps suck

#13566 - 11/10/04 10:14 PM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: Julie]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Quote:

Then, directly above P2 there is no gear - once you either pull a roof or the bulge with the ring-bolt, you have to traverse right ~15 feet to the mank in question

Not true. I did this route a month or two ago. The final bulge on P2 might feel a little airy to some, (blue camalot at your feet before you make the move) but it is much easier than the crux. And there is good gear (something like a #0.4 camalot, if I remember correctly) just above the bulge move and just before you start the traverse to which you are referring. You may have to climb an unanticipated extra move straight up on easy rock to get the gear, but it is there, and it's no higher than the mank. As for the mank itself, you can sink 3 good cams in the horizontal 3 feet to the left of the mank.

So it seems only the first part of the route is worth doing. If you prefer a fixed anchor to bail from there (I did, and there was no backup nut at the time!) replacing the pins would have less environmental impact than adding bolts.

#13567 - 11/10/04 11:30 PM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: pedestrian]
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
You're right on that ... my memory got a bit fuzzy. Actually, I think you're talking about the top of Dry Martini; the top of Tequila Mockingbird (a wild step left over a roof, a few feet right of that bulge/bolt) also has some gear. I was remembering looking *above* that (like where a common anchor would go, above the level of the mank) and not seeing much ....

But my point really is, the fixed mank is 15-20 feet directly right of the top of both routes' pitches, which makes things a PITA for such a short climb (especially if you've already done a middle belay). A fixed anchor directly above those P2s, rather than just replacing the current anchor, would improve things significantly.

Just sayin'

#13568 - 11/10/04 11:45 PM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: Julie]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

I'm talking about TM. I can't comment on Dry Martini, I haven't done that one. Actually I'm probably not going back up there any time soon, with the anchor situation being what it is. Out of those two routes, Tequila Mockingbird seems to be more worth doing for sure. Do Dry Martini and it looks like you'll have less interesting moves and a bigger hairier traverse to get to the fixed anchor.

#13569 - 11/11/04 11:55 AM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: pedestrian]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
"Or you can spend 3 (or 4) pitches just to get to the GT on loose 5.2 ... not very attractive."

Huh? Did the trapps grow or something?

#13570 - 11/11/04 12:55 PM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: pitfall]
Dad4Trad Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Quote:

"Or you can spend 3 (or 4) pitches just to get to the GT on loose 5.2 ... not very attractive."

Huh? Did the trapps grow or something?

I think she meant that the traverses make the climb longer, not higher..

D4T

Edited by Dad4Trad (11/11/04 12:56 PM)

#13571 - 11/11/04 07:59 PM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: Julie]
Steven Cherry Offline

veteran

Loc: New York, N.Y.
I've actually only done one route in that neighborhood, and as far as I understand it, it hit the cruxes of both TM and DM. We did only one belay, and it was pretty close to the ground. Combining the routes gives you very good, clean climbing the whole way (at least, at the time it was, this was probably 7-8 years ago), and the difficulty didn't change much, both cruxes are in the 5.7+ to 5.8 range.

So I would prefer not to see bolts here, or even an upgrade to the anchor in question. There's a perfectly good way to go to the top, and wouldn't it be nice if there were at least a few routes that didn't let you just do a first pitch and then lower off?

#13572 - 11/11/04 08:16 PM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: Steven Cherry]
learningtolead Offline
old hand

Loc: a wanna be kerhonkson-er
Quote:

So I would prefer not to see bolts here, or even an upgrade to the anchor in question. There's a perfectly good way to go to the top, and wouldn't it be nice if there were at least a few routes that didn't let you just do a first pitch and then lower off?

I did TM just moments before Julie did on Saturday (it was nice to meet you, Julie) and I have to agree with her on the status of that rap station. I wouldn't argue that there need to be bolts there, but getting the pins replaced would be a service to the community. If you want to argue that people should always go to the top of the cliff, that's fine. But if you agree that certain routes where the top pitches are loose or crappy should have anchors mid-way, then this is one that should be included in that group. I don't understand why people only do the first pitch of frog's head but this one, I get it.

The station that is there now is pretty bad. If people really agree that it shouldn't be fixed, then it should probably be dismantled. I personally don't believe that should be the case though.

#13573 - 11/11/04 09:43 PM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: Steven Cherry]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Quote:

I've actually only done one route in that neighborhood, and as far as I understand it, it hit the cruxes of both TM and DM. We did only one belay, and it was pretty close to the ground. Combining the routes gives you very good, clean climbing the whole way (at least, at the time it was, this was probably 7-8 years ago), and the difficulty didn't change much, both cruxes are in the 5.7+ to 5.8 range.

Not exactly. You can do the start of Tequila Mockingbird as an alternate start to Dry Martini, and this makes it a much better start from the looks of things. But after that, the routes diverge, and you have to choose between the Dry Martini crux, on the left at about 5.6+, and the wilder Tequila Mocking bird crux at 7+. I can't see any way to link both cruxes without going back down and redoing.

#13574 - 01/19/05 08:57 AM Re: *Nasty* Fixed Anchor on Tequila Mockingbird / Dry Martini [Re: Julie]
tradjunkie Online   content
enthusiast

I'd be inclined to replace that thing too. As I remember though, climbers on P2 of Drei Martini will be lucky to get that far right. When I did DM I blew well beyond that before I saw it despite lots of looking wondering where the best route was. So moving the anchor up would be good from that perspective, although if memory serves the options are limited/none.

However, I think that anchor is really intended only as a rap anchor, not a climbing anchor. From the joint stance atop P1 of DM and TM one can do a full pitch beyond without stopping there, and it's really not so bad to continue. However, a single-rope rap from the top would require an anchor roughly where the existing one is. And going to the top gives an amusing belay on the last pitch - judging by my watching a guide flail on that 5.5 stem thing, and the multiple pieces of gear I cleaned there from another party (some obviously fallen on, some obviously not), it seems that the stupid little maneouvre gives good mileage for the belayer entertained below.

I'd vote for leaving that thing ("anchor" being a rather generous term) in its current location. However, the pins definitely do need some replacing. Anyone remember what size they were, so someone can carry some new ones up?

I guess I'm sort of begging the question - if there's a fixed rap anchor, does it need to be a full-strength anchor because people will use it? (probably). An anchor that holds 900 pounds is OK as a rap anchor but I bet a lot of folks would blindly use it as a climbing anchor instead of building their own.

Another reason I'd favor upgrading it (maybe 3 nice new pins) is that this location seems to attract 'beefing up' by people who obviously have no clue what makes a decent anchor. Rusty gear, nuts placed wrong, American Triangles, etc. seem to get added on in attempts to strengthen the anchor. Given that this mank is in-situ I can only assume it's left by parties too scared to rap off a pair of bendy pitons.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored