Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 9 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#13751 - 12/06/04 05:57 PM Anyone done the Haute Route?
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
Hey, has anyone done the Haute Route that would be willing to put up a quick trip report? My main rock partner also skis, and is planning on putting together an Haute Route trip for spring 06. I will likely not be a good enough skier by then to do it, but I'd still be interested in hearing about others' experience. (And even if I don't ski well enough, I'd go along and do some ice/mountaineering while everyone else skis off into the sunset...)

-Carissa

#13752 - 12/07/04 02:42 PM Re: Anyone done the Haute Route? [Re: cfa]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
I've always wanted to do this and have also heard of the Bernese Oberland Route which is supposed to be a little easier. Marc Chauvin does tours there - he could probably give you some good ideas. I've done the Swarztor which is described as the 8th day of the Haute Route in Zermatt. It was amazing. The hard part was side stepping up for an hour without skins. The skiing itself was casual, although we had a guide to show us where the crevices were.

#13753 - 12/21/04 08:49 AM Re: Anyone done the Haute Route? [Re: cfa]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
Hi Carissa,
I did the Haute Route in March 2003. It was fabulous. You don’t have to be a great skier to do it either. The one really steep section has a fixed rope to rappelle down. The huts are open by mid to late March. The earlier you go, the less time you will have to spend roped up on the glaciers. PM me if you have any specific questions about it. Hare is the link to my home page. You will find the Haute Route pictures under the “Photo Gallery”.

http://www.gso.uri.edu/~hartmann/

#13754 - 12/21/04 08:51 AM Re: Anyone done the Haute Route? [Re: Fraser]
hartmann Offline

Loc: Northfield, VT
I'm planning on doing the Bernese Oberland Route between Christmas and New Years. I'll let you all know how it was.

#13755 - 12/23/04 11:26 PM Re: Anyone done the Haute Route? [Re: hartmann]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
Hi Paul: Great pics! I'll definitely send your link on to everyone that I'm trying to persuade to join us for the trip! And yeah, let us know how the Bernese Oberland goes...

Happy holidays!
Carissa

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored