Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#13765 - 12/08/04 02:25 PM Message read/unread status
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Starting yesterday, when I go into threads (In flat mode, but I haven't tried threaded mode) and read messages, the status no longer updates from gray to white after I have read everything. This happens in both the message view and the forum view, but the toplevel view still goes back to showing white ("nothing unread since last visit") if I go into a forum with or without reading anything.

This is becoming a major annoyance.

#13766 - 12/08/04 02:28 PM Re: Message read/unread status [Re: pedestrian]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

And now, after deliberately logging out and back in, it seems to be working for the moment. Never mind I guess!

#13767 - 12/08/04 10:14 PM Re: Message read/unread status [Re: pedestrian]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
Nate-
If this is your idea of a "major annoyance", I'm sure glad I'm not your office mate!

Anyway, I'm not sure what's causing the problem, but we're going to be upgrading the forum software in the next 2 weeks, so I hope this will get solved for you. If it still happens, try deleting your gunks.com specific cookies, or all of them if you don't know how to find a particular one.

-em

#13768 - 12/13/04 07:34 PM Re: Message read/unread status [Re: webmaster]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

the problem hasn't come back. while it was here, though, it was making it impossible to use the site in anything remotely approaching an efficient manner.

I'm sorry you feel that this is a non-issue. Look, there are several bugs in the software here. Most of them have workarounds, or only show up often enough that they are just annoyances, nothing more. This one, while still just an annoyance, was disruptive enough to be a "major annoyance." Now that it seems to have gone away (logging out and logging in seems to have worked around the problem, but who can tell) it has fallen back into the "minor annoyance" category.

Have a nice day!

#13769 - 12/15/04 03:58 AM Re: Message read/unread status [Re: pedestrian]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
The upgrade is just about ready. You'll need to hang in there just a little bit longer.

Then again, it might be your browser, and then you wouldn't be out of the woods.

-em

#13770 - 12/15/04 02:26 PM Re: Message read/unread status [Re: webmaster]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Keeping my fingers crossed that it's the upgrade, because I've been having the same problem sporadically as well

btw I use Safari on a mac with OS 10.3

edit: rereading, I have the opposite problem. When I check the board, I get everything marked as unread, and some forums show up as having no threads in them ("new forum") at all. Usually if I click around a bit and refresh a bit it fixes itself, but it's definitely something that's just started happening in the last week or so.

Edited by Aya (12/15/04 02:28 PM)

#13771 - 12/15/04 05:46 PM Re: Message read/unread status [Re: webmaster]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Then again, it might be your browser, and then you wouldn't be out of the woods.

We are well past the time when web sites can blame the browser. Site operators now have no choice but to write to standards and support all modern browsers, especially as more and more companies and universities move away from IE. The latest was the University of Pennsylvania last week which told it's community of 88,000 students and faculty to use Mozilla, Fireox, Opera, or Safari instead of IE.

#13772 - 12/15/04 07:48 PM Re: Message read/unread status [Re: pedestrian]
DollarBill Offline
journeyman

Loc: Billerica, MA

Of course, if Gunks.com had a conscientious webmaster, he or she might run a
poll of what browsers Gunkies are using.

#13773 - 12/15/04 08:17 PM Re: Message read/unread status [Re: DollarBill]
oenophore Online   confused
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Of course, if Gunks.com had a conscientious webmaster, he or she might run a poll of what browsers Gunkies are using.

Aw c'mon, DollarBill - are you serious?

#13774 - 12/15/04 08:26 PM Re: Message read/unread status [Re: DollarBill]
sohwhat Offline
enthusiast

Loc: 10001
Quote:

Of course, if Gunks.com had a conscientious webmaster, he or she might run a
poll of what browsers Gunkies are using.

and every half-conscious webmaster knows that their host usually collects that information automatically so they don't have to bother their members to conduct a poll.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored