Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (slevin), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13795 - 12/13/04 08:35 PM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: pedestrian]
skillet Offline
journeyman

Loc: long island,ny
yeah, i want to go with an A/T setup. definitely not "joe skier" here! i am trying to cram yet another activity into these short winters! man, i gotta move out west! can i drive the ethics with the matrix boot and explore binding then?is that too much ski for that boot? i didn't know that certain skis were only for tele! d'oh!

#13796 - 12/13/04 08:41 PM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: skillet]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
I wouldn't go so far as to say the Nunyo is only for tele. There is nothing stopping you from using it with an AT binding (unlike hole inserts on K2 skis that might get in the way?) but it might not be the best match(?) and some shops don't seem to recommend it for AT - it's a matter of opinion.

For what it's worth, I demoed the Ethics with Matrix boots and I didn't feel that I needed more boot.

Fritschi bindings are fine. The only difference between the Explore binding and the Freeride binding is a max DIN of 10 instead of 12, no brake, and a few ounces of weight. If you buy an explore and buy a brake separately, it will probably cost more than just buying a freeride with brake included.

#13797 - 12/13/04 10:06 PM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: skillet]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
the main reason i mentioned the denali instead of the matrix is that you said you were going to do a lot of resort skiing. the cuff and the stiffness makes a huge difference to me in moguls especially, and it is also nice when doing groomers at high speeds. the matrix will handle that stuff as well, but the denali just makes it more pleasant.

touring is just fine in the denali's too. i have done a bunch of big days in mine and they are just fine. the matrix makes a lot of sense if you are thinking about someday getting some dynafit bindings. either the matrix or the denali will drive the ethics just fine.

#13798 - 12/14/04 04:01 AM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: andrew]
skillet Offline
journeyman

Loc: long island,ny
cool...probably gonna split my time about 50/50 -- resort/backcountry. what are the advantages to the dynafit rig? do you come out of them in a fall?

#13799 - 12/14/04 02:13 PM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: skillet]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

they release, but you have to pop out of the heel first before the toe will disengage. release is inelastic and they can prerelease if you flex the ski hard. there may not be as many angles of relaase. really they are not the binding you want for a 50/50 resort/bc setup - the manufacturer doesn't even recommend them for a lot of in bounds. the advantage is super light weight for pure long distance backcountry use

#13800 - 12/14/04 05:01 PM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: pedestrian]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
yup. i think ideally having at least two AT setups is good. or 10 if you are d-elvis.

setup 1 for resort skiing and pushing it hard in the backcountry would be something like:
ethics or havocs or something similar for skis
denali tt boots
fritschi freeride bindings

and setup 2 for lightweight longer distance touring would be:
a nice light ski of some kind
scarpa F1 boots
dynafit comfort bindings

i haven't had a chance to use the dynafits, but i would treat them like my silvretta bindings - try not to fall and ski conservatively. i ski my freerides pretty hard, and have never had a problem with them not releasing when i've really needed them to, but i could definitely see how you could especially if you lean back too much.

anyone have suggestions for a lightweight ski that still performs ok?

#13801 - 12/14/04 05:51 PM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: andrew]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

possible lightweight choices that i had it narrowed down to before i decided to go with more of a 50/50 resort rig,

atomic mx9 (i demoed the equivalent tm22 this weekend, but it was mounted tele and i suck on tele, so i really can't tell you anything about the ski. it felt very light, i would want at least a 180 if it was mounted AT, or for tele 170 until i figure out tele)

volkl mountain norbert joos
volkl snow wolf
k2 shuksan

#13802 - 12/15/04 06:36 PM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: pedestrian]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

More AT demo info for East Coasters!

NH
* IME may be able to rent AT gear, but this info seems to have disappeared from their website.

VT
* "some place in Stowe" rents AT gear
* Mad River Glen's shop may rent out some AT gear.

NY
* The Mountaineer hosts a backcountry ski fest
* High Peaks Cyclery might be able to help? (Not sure.)

#13803 - 01/13/05 05:13 PM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: skillet]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

well i finally went and bought the black diamond package.

IMO everyone should try one of the fatter skis (around 80mm or so) with a good pair of boots - the stability is great and it even helps on groomed trails. After I bought the Ethics and the new AT boots, I finally figured out how to carve with both feet, after not really "getting" it on a more typical "carving" ski... maybe it just finally clicked... and the Ethic only has moderate sidecut...

#13804 - 01/13/05 06:26 PM Re: A/T ski info--general [Re: pedestrian]
zachres Offline
addict

Loc: In the midst of a "psychotic b...
What kind of boots did you get?

I just switched to Scarpa Lasers and plate-bindings on all of my boards.... getting geared up for "The Big One."

Zach

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored