Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#13856 - 12/17/04 03:52 PM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: AirGuitar]
Fraser Offline
old hand

Loc: New Canaan, CT
Quote:

Over here in Israel, rappelling is very widespread. There are hundreds of hiking trails that end in rappelling from multiple cliffs from as low as 15M to 150M. It's great because if you bring a long a group, they only need to know basic rappelling which can be taught in 5-10mins. IThis is why tourists usually go on one rappelling trip when they come to israel. I was just thinking that there might be something similiar in the NY area in the states as I will be going there for the spring or summer.

I think many if not most climbers view rappeling as a necessary evil - it is the most dangerous part of climbing. Hence, we would not encourage anyone to seek that out as a separate activity, particularly if they were just beginning.

#13857 - 12/17/04 08:34 PM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: Fraser]
Coppertone Offline
old hand

Loc: Newtown, CT
Quote:

I think many if not most climbers view rappeling as a necessary evil - it is the most dangerous part of climbing. Hence, we would not encourage anyone to seek that out as a separate activity, particularly if they were just beginning.

Besides what you describe would entail hikiing in a harness, who wants to do that.

#13858 - 12/18/04 09:05 PM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: Coppertone]
AirGuitar Offline
stranger

We normally keep the equipment in a bag until we use it for the first cliff. The distance between cliffs is minimal so wearing a harness while hiking isn't a problem.

Anyway, what routes in the Gunks are walk-off? I'm sure it's possible to just do the path in reverse.

Also, I called the parks department and they said that there are rappelling routes in the Peterskill area. Any ideas?

One more thing, I'm looking for places to rappell that has a minimum of a 20M-30M drop. If not, I'll settle for something lower. Apparently good places to rappel are very hard to find in the east coast.

#13859 - 12/19/04 03:24 AM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: AirGuitar]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
There are plenty of places on the East Coast that are good for rappeling. The thing is that they also happen to be excellent for climbing. You will make a bunch of climbers really angry with you if you choose to rap down on them while they are climbing. The activities you seem to wish to engage in are viewed as unsafe and/or disrespectful by most members of this community.

Leave the rap gear at home. Come and enjoy the Gunks by foot. Better yet, hire a guide service and enjoy the climbing. You'll likely do some rappeling as a result.

#13860 - 12/19/04 02:16 PM Maybe there is such a trip nearby [Re: intrepid02]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
I don't think you mentioned when you might be here. If it's in the summer, there's a hiking trail that runs very near the top of Buttermilk Falls in the Catskills less than an hour north of the Gunks. From there you could theoretically do 5-7 raps of 10-20m each down the waterfall canyon. Then you get to the bottom and you're on the wrong side of Kaaterskill Creek (no bridge to cross) so some wading would probably be required. A few minutes up a slope and you're at the highway, but your vehicle is likely to be a few miles away. The waterfall is a popular ice climbing destination in the winter but I doubt you'd see anyone in there in the summer. Also, there are no fixed rappel anchors - you'd be using trees, some of which are far away from the drops so you'll need a longer rope (maybe 50) than the short raps would suggest. It is not a "trail" and I would recommend that you treat it as a serious canyoneering outing. But it would probably be a lot of good, wet fun.

#13861 - 12/20/04 11:15 PM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: AirGuitar]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

AirGuitar,
Please ignore my friends who like to sit on their high horses at times. There is the possibility for what you are looking for within the Mohonk Preserve.

One easy--to--consider activity is to park at say the West Trapps Lot and walk the undercliff Carriage Road until you get to the start of the Trapps. Here, you can hike/scramble to the top of the cliff and then hike the ridge almost all the way down to the most northern part of the cliff, to the top of a climbing route known as "Casa Emilio" . Here, you can do two rappels with 1 60 meter rope or 1 rappel with 2 60 meter ropes. Then, you can catch the carriage road again and go back south to your car or go north and then wrap around taking the overcliff road back.

This entire excursion would take about, um, maybe 3 hours depending on how quickly you walk and efficiently your party rappells and it would expose you to the unique cliff top environment, with views of the hudson valley and catskills, and a look at the cliff side environment as you are rappelling. On a nice day, it could be quite pleasant..

Casa Emilio is a route that sees only a modest amount of climber traffic, so, you will not likely be interrupting climbers there, but, of course, be courteous to the climbers that you may meet and give them the right of way.

All of the places that I described can be found in any of the Dick Williams guides to climbing at the Mohonk Preserve or in the Todd Swain guide as well.

Happy rappelling.

#13862 - 12/22/04 12:18 PM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: strat]
AirGuitar Offline
stranger

strat: thanks a lot for your help, I appreciate it. I'm going to research this and use it to plan my trip.

if you know any other nice places, please let me know.

#13863 - 12/22/04 12:21 PM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: strat]
oenophore Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: 212 land
Here, you can hike/scramble to the top of the cliff and then hike the ridge almost all the way down to the most northern part of the cliff, to the top of a climbing route known as "Casa Emilio"

Walking along the top of the cliff, can you find Casa Emilio?

#13864 - 12/22/04 02:06 PM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: oenophore]
strat Offline
Carpal Tunnel

The top of the Roger's Escape Hatch is marked with a small cairn, Casa Emilio is slightly north of that and the rap slings can be observed on the pine tree.

#13865 - 01/03/05 01:05 AM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: strat]
pda Offline
addict

Loc: Bergen County NJ
Point taken that you could do it. But I kind of doubt that is what he has in mind. Something where the descent actually fits into the hike would probably be better. Not too many places in the gunks fit that, There might be places in the Catskills. The only New York site I have seen with routes having actual "canyoneering" type descents is in Whetstone Gulf up on the Tug Hill Plateau. Not exactly a destination mecca for foreginers though.

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored