Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Topic Options
#13866 - 01/03/05 01:57 AM Re: rappelling only trails [Re: pda]
AirGuitar Offline
stranger

Quote:

Point taken that you could do it. But I kind of doubt that is what he has in mind. Something where the descent actually fits into the hike would probably be better. Not too many places in the gunks fit that, There might be places in the Catskills. The only New York site I have seen with routes having actual "canyoneering" type descents is in Whetstone Gulf up on the Tug Hill Plateau. Not exactly a destination mecca for foreginers though.

I'm not exactly a foreigner. I've lived in NY all my life until now, but I am going back to visit family. While I was in Israel, I started rappelling in canyons and I enjoyed it. So when I visit, I want to try to do it in NY.

#68051 - 05/09/13 01:53 AM Re: Maybe there is such a trip nearby [Re: Mike Rawdon]
mmdambro Offline
stranger

Loc: New Jersey
Hey Mike, I am taking a trip up that way soon and would be interested in giving this route a try. I've been out to Utah and done numerous slot canyons out there and have been itching to find or develop a route back here. Would you be willing to shoot me an email or pm so we can talk more about this? I'm a new user so almost everything is disabled for me.

#68056 - 05/09/13 02:12 PM Re: Maybe there is such a trip nearby [Re: mmdambro]
chip Online   content
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I have not tried it and I don't think it is anything close to a slot canyon, but Kaaterskill Clove is supposed to be a fun descent from the falls all the way down on to the alluvial plain at Palenville, as well as being a fun study of local geology. Should be a good day and might be a few spots that a rap can be helpful.

#68059 - 05/09/13 05:02 PM Re: Maybe there is such a trip nearby [Re: chip]
Adrian Offline
journeyman

Originally Posted By: chip
I have not tried it and I don't think it is anything close to a slot canyon, but Kaaterskill Clove is supposed to be a fun descent from the falls all the way down on to the alluvial plain at Palenville, as well as being a fun study of local geology. Should be a good day and might be a few spots that a rap can be helpful.

I thought one of the guide outfit does this in the summer. Rappel Plattekill Falls, to Bridal Veil Falls, then Japanese Falls.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored