Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (oenophore), 9 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#14073 - 01/05/05 09:43 PM Emoticons in Firefox
Julie Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: SoCal
When I click to add an "instant graemlin" to a post, it always gets appended (added to the end of) whatever text I'm writing, rather than inserted where my cursor is, if it's in the middle of some text. I have to manually cut/past to put the emoticon in the right spot.

#14074 - 01/05/05 10:02 PM Re: Emoticons in Firefox [Re: Julie]
Allujee Offline
stranger

haven't you ever looked at the thing that describes that thing you're talking about with that problem? everyone knows about it.

#14075 - 01/05/05 10:08 PM Re: Emoticons in Firefox [Re: Julie]
Dad4Trad Offline

Loc: New Paltz
Quote:

When I click to add an "instant graemlin" to a post, it always gets appended (added to the end of) whatever text I'm writing, rather than inserted where my cursor is, if it's in the middle of some text. I have to manually cut/past to put the emoticon in the right spot.

Does it work differently with IE? All I use if Firefox so I didn't know any better. It is just an annoyance I live with.... like taxes

D4T

#14076 - 01/05/05 10:25 PM Re: Emoticons in Firefox [Re: Dad4Trad]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

Does it work differently with IE? All I use if Firefox so I didn't know any better.

Yes. In IE the graemlins are (correctly) inserted at the cursor position. The same behavior/bug occurs with insertion of any of the UBB codes - url, image, bold, colors, etc. As you might suspect, this also happens in Mozilla (since Firefox is built on the same browser engine).

#14077 - 01/07/05 09:59 AM Re: Emoticons in Firefox [Re: MarcC]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
And with safari.

#14078 - 01/10/05 07:47 PM Re: Emoticons in Firefox [Re: Julie]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Discussions of this problem come up from time to time. I've encountered it as a web developer; Mozilla-derived browsers simply lack the JavaScript functionality that is required to make this work the way everyone wants it to work. I guess that Firefox still lacks the required javascript functions, but it's also possible that the methods that are being used to detect whether or not the functions are present are wrong...

But basically, it's Mozilla's fault.

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored