Shout Box

Who's Online
1 registered (1 invisible), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Topic Options
#14188 - 01/31/05 02:38 PM Re: Catskill Ski Recommendation?? [Re: webmaster]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
Bellayre was FUN on Sunday - at least for beginners like my wife and I. Lots of easy terrain to find our feet on, never had to wait more than 3 or 4 minutes for the lifts, and it wasn't so crowded that you had to worry about people running into you, or vice versa.

Definately a good beginner experience

#14189 - 02/07/05 06:46 PM Re: Catskill Ski Recommendation?? [Re: pitfall]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
Yeah, I'm comparing the Catskills and the Green mountains; I said it's usually better to take the extra couple hours and head up to VT.

I mentioned Killington as a good destination since it's the closest major mountain that has a wide variety of terrain, huge lift capacity, is a reasonable driving distance, has a decent apres-ski village, decent food... overall it's a good destination.

Jay's way too far and there's nothing to do there afterwards. Stowe's my home mountain, but it's a pretty long trip for most people. Mad River won't let me in now that I ride (and I don't miss it dammit). Tucks... well if you're into that kind of thing, I don't see the point in it really.

#14190 - 02/08/05 04:30 AM Re: Catskill Ski Recommendation?? [Re: quanto_the_mad]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Quote:

Yeah, I'm comparing the Catskills and the Green mountains; I said it's usually better to take the extra couple hours and head up to VT.

I mentioned Killington as a good destination since it's the closest major mountain that has a wide variety of terrain, huge lift capacity, is a reasonable driving distance, has a decent apres-ski village, decent food... overall it's a good destination.

Jay's way too far and there's nothing to do there afterwards. Stowe's my home mountain, but it's a pretty long trip for most people. Mad River won't let me in now that I ride (and I don't miss it dammit). Tucks... well if you're into that kind of thing, I don't see the point in it really.

I'm with you.. VT is definitely worth the drive, but hey sometimes all you've got is an afternoon free... nothing wrong with popping up to Windham for an evening Can't really stand Killington, myself; basically seems to me like Hunter, but ten times worse - that is the type of people there and all that.

Sugarbush all the way. Something about where they are... always have the best snow

#14191 - 02/08/05 11:04 AM Re: Catskill Ski Recommendation?? [Re: Aya]
Mike Rawdon Offline

Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Poughkeepsie
For years Killington was one of my favorite VT areas. They installed high capacity lifts like there was no tomorrow. Which was a good thing, until one day there were no lift lines. There were lines at the top of the slopes. Their uphill capacity had finally exceeded their "downhill capacity". That was a new type of negative experience for me. (Yes, it was an atypical day, shortly after a snap thaw & freeze, and everyone wanted to be on the same couple of resurfaced runs)

#14192 - 02/08/05 03:18 PM Re: Catskill Ski Recommendation?? [Re: Mike Rawdon]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
In VT I've been to Killington and Mount Snow since moving here from Maine.

Is there any true no-fall terrain in Vermont? Slide-for-life terrain like White Heat.

#14193 - 02/08/05 06:09 PM Re: Catskill Ski Recommendation?? [Re: pedestrian]
KAYLA Offline
addict

Loc: new city, ny
Belive or not Okemo has some true fall line skiing. Not real hard, but fun. Stratton also has real a fall line. Killington sucks, the most overated ski area in the east. My favorite is Whiteface.

#14194 - 02/08/05 11:34 PM Re: Catskill Ski Recommendation?? [Re: pedestrian]
Aya Offline
old hand

Loc: Climbing somewhere
Quote:

Is there any true no-fall terrain in Vermont? Slide-for-life terrain like White Heat.

Jay Peak. Yeah it's a trek but man is it worth it. Can most feel like the rockies some days. Almost.

#14195 - 02/09/05 12:01 PM Re: Catskill Ski Recommendation?? [Re: Aya]
pitfall Offline
old hand

Loc: Albany
Jay- Yeah, I'm thinking that a fall on the face chutes or tucks chute could be pretty bad.

I haven't skied the slide area at whiteface but I can't imagine a fall over there would be fun either.

#14196 - 02/10/05 01:11 AM Re: Catskill Ski Recommendation?? [Re: pitfall]
andrew Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Denver, CO
boy am i glad that i live in utah. 2' of 5% cold smoke fell on alta this week, and there is as much fall and get hurt or die terrain as you could possibly want. best part is all the mormons are in church on sunday, so there aren't any crowds.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored