Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 10 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Topic Options
#14229 - 02/09/05 06:32 PM trail run/ approach shoe
talus Offline
veteran

looking for reccomendations. vasque, la sportiva, montrial etc.. thanks

#14230 - 02/10/05 02:50 PM Re: trail run/ approach shoe [Re: talus]
webmaster Offline

veteran

Loc: New Paltz (Kerhonkson, actuall...
We tested a bunch of trail shoes last year, though I never got around to publishing the complete review. Myself and others were quite impressed with the Montrails. I liked the Vitesse, and others liked the Hurricane Ridge--both from Montrail. We weren't able to test anything from Vasque. La Sportiva said they would send something along, then never did. When I saw the La Sportiva shoes at the OR show, their line looked very shallow.

If you're looking for more of an approach shoe, I'd also check out Merrill. Their shoes were really nice for approach, though their weight made them less attractive for runs longer than say, 4 miles.

We tested New Balance, Nike, Montrail, Addidas, Merrill & North Face.

The thing about shoes in general is that they are so inexpensive to manufacture, that many of these companies are including trail shoes in their line, just to round out their line. That's why I'd be more inclined to go with a shoe from Montrail or Vasque. It's their main focus so they get alot of the nuances right.

-em

#14231 - 02/10/05 06:12 PM Re: trail run/ approach shoe [Re: talus]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Loc: South Jersey (Pinelands)
I posted a whole review of the Montrail Vitesse this morning. Don't know why I do not see it now. Any way they are my favorites. I have owned two or three pairs, and other shoes with which to compare them. My Vitesse experience is independent of the webmasters.

#14232 - 02/10/05 06:38 PM Re: trail run/ approach shoe [Re: Mark Heyman]
talus Offline
veteran

thanks guys i'm torn now between 5.10 xcr (11.4oz) would like to know how they hold up and the montrail vitesse. Also i'm traing for NYC marathon and would like to hear how these shoes hold up on long distance. my montrail diez? flattened out on me after 10 miles.
thanks

Edited by talus (02/10/05 06:43 PM)

#14233 - 02/10/05 07:24 PM Re: trail run/ approach shoe [Re: talus]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

My previous “review” might be helpful.

My first pair of Vitesse’s “ flattened out much sooner than my second. Montrail’s web site says they have not changed since 1996. Could I have had a pair that long ago? Maybe I’ve had three pairs? I don’t think so. Anyway they were fairly different. My newer ones are smaller in the forefoot, tighter everywhere, stiffer, and more protective. Cushioning seems to be holding up better too. A little over built for SJ. New ones are better than the old ones on wet rock, but still not very good. Can’t climb in either.

I also own a pair of 5.10 Access (non-XCR). Bigger shoes with no more room. Narrower toe. Stiffer, thinner soles, and lower ride. A little over built for SJ. Not enough cushioning for me to run in regularly except on very soft ground, which I sometimes do. Excellent on rock, wet or dry, can even climb in them to some extent.

I was just noticing the Montrail Diez on closout., but you are making me think twice. I need the cushioning.

#14234 - 02/11/05 01:35 PM Re: trail run/ approach shoe [Re: Mark Heyman]
talus Offline
veteran

i may have cofused you. it wasn't a total of 10 miles on the diez, i have no idea how many miles i put in on them, but when i did a 10 mile run they went flat on me. i still use the diez good shoe for the price on stp

#14235 - 02/11/05 05:53 PM Re: trail run/ approach shoe [Re: talus]
Mark Heyman Offline
old hand

Thanks Talus, I was mislead. I will order a pair later today. Use the Montrail website to purchase and use their links. STP is not the least expensive, the Diaz is available for less than $50!

Moderator:  webmaster 
Sponsored