Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 11 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#14288 - 02/14/05 10:12 PM Hawaii
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
So steph and I are planning on heading there for our honeymoon, probably end of july or august..

Currently we were thinking of going to kuai, but thats about as far as our planning has gone and even that is not fixed yet. anyone who has been to the islands have any suggestions?

thanks
mitch

#14289 - 02/14/05 10:29 PM Re: Hawaii [Re: CrackBoy]
Timbo Online   content
addict

Loc: Delaware
Quote:

So steph and I are planning on heading there for our honeymoon, probably end of july or august..

Currently we were thinking of going to kuai, but thats about as far as our planning has gone and even that is not fixed yet. anyone who has been to the islands have any suggestions?

thanks
mitch

Yep.

1) Get Snorkel Bob's Guide to Kauai (and go snorkeling, of course).

2) Hike the Kalalau Trail along the Na Pali coast (permits required).

2a) Swim naked in the cave at the end of the KLL Trail

3) Hike down into Waimea Canyon and spend the night listening to the wild pigs (eerie)

4) Leave your climbing gear behind

5) Sample the hot Lau Lau at a roadside stand (it's not what you might think !)

6) Camp and have sex on the beach while listening to the pounding surf at Polihale State Park. Watch out for th giant flying roaches and skip this if you can't stand high temps.

7) Camp among the Nene at Kokee State Park (to recover from the heat at Polihale State Park - talk about microclimates !)

Enjoy

TS

#14290 - 02/14/05 10:36 PM Re: Hawaii [Re: CrackBoy]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: LI, NY
there is sport climbing in a gorgeous setting on oahu.

and the view:

theoretically visible in this picture is where they are filming the TV show "Lost". we saw the crashed plane and didnt know what the hell to think of it.
and lets not forget this gem:

PM me I can hook you up with a local.
also, there's decent bouldering a waimea bay.
and dont listen to peter. he went to hawaii and didnt climb. lame-o.

Time flies like an arrow. Fruit flies like a banana.

#14291 - 02/14/05 10:42 PM Re: Hawaii [Re: CrackBoy]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

this looked cool too, but only learned about it last week:
hawaii trail article
i can email you the text of the artcle if you dont feel like registering.

#14292 - 02/14/05 11:04 PM Re: Hawaii [Re: empicard]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
that article was sweet..looked like it would be a fun hike...

as far as climbing goes...the thought crossed my mind but there are other things i would like to do..besides i don't want to lug gear down there.

Evan did you hang out on Oahu? that island looked like it would be a good alternative to kuai or an addition to it.

from what i have heard, its better to pick one or two islands than try to get many in

#14293 - 02/15/05 02:24 AM Re: Hawaii [Re: CrackBoy]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

we went to oahu and the big island.
be prepared for mind boggling crowds in waikiki on oahu. think of it this way - the hotel we stayed at, the hilton hawaiian village, had 2000 employees. we estimate 15-20,000 guests. in 1 hotel. 1 hotel. i last exactly 3 minutes on the 200ft wide hotel beach. then we drove to the north shore.
the rest of oahu is gorgeous. i think it is downright unamerican to go to hawaii and not see pearl harbor. we spent 5 days on oahu, and could have stayed another 3-4 days, although one of our days was taken up climbing.
can you not see the pix? i could.
check out all the honeymoon pix here:
http://www.ofoto.com/I.jsp?c=8qp630ex.5f23f7d5&x=0&y=-rxkup7

diamond head was lame. 1.5 hours
the polynesian center is super cool, we learned alot about all the polynesian cultures, we got to eat at a luau, but it took ALL DAY. like 7:30am-9pm all day.
big island/kona was awesome. way more laid back.

#14294 - 02/15/05 06:37 AM Re: Hawaii [Re: CrackBoy]
Alex Offline

Kauai
In addition to what was already said. The beach in Lihue is good to rent a board and try surfing, easy waves. Various nice beaches. The Na Pali trail should be good that time of year. The surf is calmer there then so you can also sea kayak it (with or without a guide) if that's your thing.
Big Island
Snorkel at Captain Cook Monument - you rent a sit on top kayak and paddle across the bay to it. Watch out for spinner dolphins on the way to swim with. And also Kalalu just south of Kona. Hike out to see the lava- you can walk right up to it. There's a nice huge hot springs past Puna right on the ocean - free and very warm in case you hit some weather.
I would skip Oahu crowded, traffic, no serenity. Maui has some nice beaches but is also a bit hectic now. Molokai is very relaxing but maybe not enough interest. I would definitely do Kauai and the Big Island. Snorkel Bob's guide is a laugh but the Wizard Publications guides are the best. www.wizardpub.com Also check out the lava updates before you go to see how active it is, the site is: http//hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/

#14295 - 02/15/05 01:20 PM Re: Hawaii [Re: Alex]
empicard Offline
Carpal Tunnel

city of refuge on the big island was some awesome snorkelling. i got video of sea turtles there.
i wish i could post it.

#14296 - 02/15/05 01:57 PM Re: Hawaii [Re: CrackBoy]
irisharehere Offline
Site Supporter

Loc: Danbury CT
Didn't like Oahu much - too crowded.

Maui is the schist! Whatever you want, pretty much, its got it. You want high luxury - go to one of the resorts in Wailea. Stayed at the Four Seasons there, and it rocks, but you could buy an entire new big wall rack for the price of a few days there!

West Maui has a much more remote feel to it. Nice little resorts and gusthouses. Lots of activities, snorkelling, diving, hiking and biking up and down Pu'u Kukui. Go see 'Iao's Needle. Cool feature, scene of a major massacre during one of the last tribal wars on Hawaii.

Drive the coast to Hana, and stay overnight there. It takes you through the rainforest side of the island. Massive bamboo groves, pines, waterfalls everywhere you look. Bike down Haleakala - a nearly 10,000 foot descent. See the sunrise from the summit. Go diving - may I recommend Maui Pro Diver? Good bunch of guys, the boat is never too crowded.

But most of all, chill out. Don't try to do too much. You can always come back again, you only get to do the honeymoon thing once (unless your screen name is D-......oh, never mind )

Peter

#14297 - 02/25/05 01:37 AM Re: Hawaii [Re: empicard]
cfa Offline
enthusiast

Loc: Upper Valley NH
Quote:

this looked cool too, but only learned about it last week:
hawaii trail article
i can email you the text of the artcle if you dont feel like registering.

I actually did this hike last time I was home visiting (yep, I'm actually from there). It's a REALLY great hike...climbing experience required to survive the last two peaks, I'd say, although obviously you guys won't have that problem! (No gear required, just ability to stand lots of exposure and some downclimbing etc.) I can't remember how long it took us...maybe 5 hours car to car?

Downside: the hike is located on Oahu, which I agree...it's kind of lame unless you know some locals to take you around. Kauai is super for all the reasons listed above. The Big Island is also great, because there's such a variety of terrain...lava fields and volcanoes, tropical rainforest, ranchland (used to be the largest privately owned ranch in the US), beaches with black, white or green sand...

-Carissa

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored