Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 14 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >
Topic Options
#14470 - 03/17/05 08:37 PM Re: Route signs would help everyone [Re: webmaster]
Timbo Offline
addict

Loc: Delaware
At this point I'm not sure if I'm for for against signs, but I do know this: they put up unobtrusive little signs at Wild Iris because the trails were braiding and guess what, it worked. The signs funneled traffic onto one trail and cut out cross-country routes when someone found they were heading in the wrong direction.

I can see how an unobstrusive sign at the base of the spur trails from the Carriage Road could lead to less traffic along the cliff base trail and possibly less erosion.
I would rather see the masses walk on the road than along the base of the cliff.

If it aids in preserving the cliff w/o being too obstrusive, I probably would not mind some signs.

TS

#14471 - 03/17/05 09:15 PM Re: Route signs would help everyone [Re: webmaster]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

I don't know, I think some type of navigation on the carriage road is not a bad idea. <snip> I use the Black Book, and many of the landmarks are overgrown or have disintegrated, or the trees have long since fallen.
<snip>
I think something unobtrusive, like numbered or color blazed assent trails, mileage markers, and the like would improve the experience for most, and not ruin the experience for those here who feel they can navigate the entire trapps blindfolded.

Set the controls on the Wayback Machine, Sherman.
At one time there was precisely the unobtrusive signage that you suggest. There used to be a self-guiding nature/natural history trail along the Undercliff road. There were little cedar stakes, about 2.5" in diameter and maybe 6" high, that had an angled painted top with a number carved through the paint discretely placed along the side of the road. These numbers corresponded to numbered paragraphs in a pamphlet that the rangers handed out for the asking.

Cliimbers quickly learned a secondary use that was very handy for giving directions to visiting climbers: "a few yards past number X is the trail that leads up to the base of Never Never Land." Supplemented with some prominent natural landmarks - the pot-bellied tree (aka People Eater), the Andrew boulder, etc. it was quite effective.

Time and traffic took their toll and the posts were all but totally gone sometime in the early 90's. Seeing that the Trapps has resembled an outdoor urban gym for quite some time now, something of this sort may well have its place. I wouldn't suggest that this is something for the preserve to do.

#14472 - 03/18/05 03:37 AM Re: Route signs would help everyone [Re: webmaster]
Steven Cherry Offline

veteran

Loc: New York, N.Y.
Evan, you don't have the option to dog-pile on with the rest of us, because not all of the rest of us have ridiculed the idea. But frankly, the arguments advanced so far don't really amount to much. Tim's point about funneling traffic onto trails doesn't wash at the Gunks, where the trails are marked.

The argument that people can ignore the guidebook, so why can't they ignore the signs ignores the fact that you can not walk around with a guidebook, but by the time you look away from a sign you've already seen it.

The idea that we need signs because during a weekday there aren't people to ask presumes that people have some right to not have to look for routes for themselves. The guidebooks have some walking times and other tips, and people can walk along the base and follow the feature descriptions and route descriptions. Frankly, that's an awful lot more information than you get at the New, the Dacks, Cathedral, JTree, and about a thousand other climbing areas out there.

So the question is, what kind of climbing area do we want the Gunks to be, a traditional climbing area, or another Smith Rock? Evan, you're welcome to say you don't want the Gunks to be a traditional climbing area, but face up to the fact that you feel that way, and say it.

#14473 - 03/18/05 03:51 PM Re: Carriage Road Signs? [Re: feck]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan
Quote:

The Gunks are BY FAR THE EASIEST CLIFFS in the nation to navigate and find routes.

Dumbing it down even further is an insult.

At Mount Nemo on the Niagara Escarpement, they have numbers at the base of each route that correspond to the guide book. So I don't agree that the Gunks cliffs is the easiest (granted, place I'm talking about is not in the "nation").

I don't think markers are necessary at the Gunks. I've gotten plenty lost (both finding a route and on a route) and most of the time I've found what I'm looking for by asking one or two of the many, very nice people I find out there doing what I'm doing.

edited to add that the numbers are actually painted on the rock!!!

Edited by JoeKayak (03/18/05 04:36 PM)

#14474 - 03/18/05 04:16 PM Re: Carriage Road Signs? [Re: JoeKayak]
GeeVee Offline
Auto Reply

Loc: Brooklyn, NY
At Mount Nemo on the Niagara Escarpement, they have numbers at the base of each route that correspond to the guide book. So I don't agree that the Gunks cliffs is the easiest (granted, place I'm talking about is not in the "nation").

If you want a good (or is that bad?) example "in the nation" there's always Crawdad Canyon in southern Utah - they have name plaques at the base of each of the climbs.

#14475 - 03/18/05 05:00 PM Re: Carriage Road Signs? [Re: GeeVee]
Cornell Climber Offline
journeyman

Consider this a vote for mile markers on the carriage road. Beneficial to hikers and bikers. Not as overbearing as route signs, but will help climbers find the correct approach path. Something similar at the Nears would be nice as well.

I've been climbing at the Gunks since 1997 and still sometimes have difficulty locating a climb. Of course, I once walked up to someone and asked what climb they were on. The response, Limelight, shouldn't have come as a surprise since I had climbed it six days earlier.

#14476 - 03/18/05 05:32 PM Re: Carriage Road Signs? [Re: Cornell Climber]
talus Offline
veteran

how about we just tie dogs down at different points on the carriage trail with signs on them indicating what climbs are above. The signs should contain name of the climb, topo, and full route/gear description. Dogs should be of any type just as long as they are tied down with a leash.

#14477 - 03/18/05 07:01 PM Re: Carriage Road Signs? [Re: talus]
JoeKayak Offline
old hand

Loc: Manhattan
Dogs should be of any type just as long as they are tied down with a leash.

and friendly...don't forget that...otherwise you'll have people hogging routes with fido the pitbull growling at the base.

better yet, let's have alternating sets of g.commers stationed at every mile with a sandwich board containing the most brilliant pearl of wisdom ever shared by them on the board? this could be fun (but we should move it to the AAC thread to continue).

#14478 - 03/18/05 08:19 PM Re: Route signs would help everyone [Re: webmaster]
edk Offline
addict

Loc: allentown, NJ
I support the idea. In fact I love it. but thats not the way it goes in this game is it. obfusication is a little contrivance designed to keep things somewhat exclusive.

Wont be long before guidebooks start using GPS coordinates - unobstrusive and direct I LOVE that idea even more

#14479 - 03/18/05 08:21 PM Re: Carriage Road Signs? [Re: talus]
quanto_the_mad Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: brooklyn
I was thinking those little solar powered sidewalk lights every 10 feet along the carriage path. They could all have numbers painted on them so you always know where you are, and they would help the climbers and hikers who get caught out after sunset.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 ... 12 13 >

Moderator:  Mike Rawdon, Steven Cherry 
Sponsored