Shout Box

Who's Online
2 registered (2 invisible), 2 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#14639 - 03/29/05 03:20 AM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: chip]
SkurdeyCat Offline

Loc: PA
Babysitting services in the Valley? Tell us more, I may need to replan a late year trip!

My son just laybacked his way INTO his crib this evening, mom didn't appreciate it when I got him to try again... gotta start em early.

Skurdey

#14640 - 03/31/05 01:32 AM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: SkurdeyCat]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
I know there is babysitting at the Awanee, but that might be a bit steep. I would call the Delaware North Companies, based in Fresno. They run most of the concessions, including Camp Curry, etc. You might also try the Mountaineering store. I thought I saw that a day camp was available at the Happy Isles area, which is also the start to some great hiking like to Half Dome. Good Luck.

#14641 - 03/31/05 11:17 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: chip]
chazman Offline
old hand

Last trip we stayed at the Ahwahnee... hold on, I need a moment... sorry about that, but the trip prior we stayed at Yos Lodge and just called the Ahwahnee and got a sitter to have a nice quiet kid free dinner there. The girl came over to the lodge and watched the kids in our room and she was totally reasonable... and it was a great meal! I think getting a sitter for the day while you go out and multi-pitch could get costly but for a little alone time it's worth it.

#14642 - 04/01/05 08:53 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: chazman]
Arms Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: WV, near NRG and Seneca
If you're wondering, Ahwahnee = $300/night.

#14643 - 04/02/05 05:07 AM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Arms]
Jannette Online   content

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
We're staying in those tent cabins - we were happy to get any accommodations! However, with the money we saved on not staying at the fancier places, perhaps we can get ourselves some babysitting! Still isn't cheap, those tent cabins as $65 a day!

By the way, I got the Yosemite Topropes guidebook. For a place with that much rock, it's a teeny tiny guidebook. Sigh.

Jannette

#14644 - 04/02/05 01:51 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Jannette]
Arms Offline
Pooh-Bah

The tent cabins MAY be gone.

#14645 - 04/02/05 04:48 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Jannette]
MarcC Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Quote:

By the way, I got the Yosemite Topropes guidebook. For a place with that much rock, it's a teeny tiny guidebook. Sigh.

A testament to actually how little can be TR'd in the Valley. As you also may have noticed, there is relatively little for the sub-5.9 climber. Not to say that a climber at that level will not have a fun time - I/we could barely climb 5.9 on our first 2-week trip to the Valley and we still had a blast (got spanked a lot, too, but that's another story) - but it's amazing how many more options there are when you go there being able to handle mid-hard 5.10.

#14646 - 04/03/05 12:01 AM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Arms]
Jannette Online   content

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
The tent cabins MAY be gone.

They'd better not be, Yosemite happily took our money for reservations.

Jannette

#14647 - 04/03/05 06:40 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Jannette]
onionman Offline

Another option is to sign the kids up for some of the YMS classes. The "Go Climb a Rock" classes I saw last summer were filled with kids. You might need to call YMS ahead of time, though, and check if they have any age restrictions. They might ask that a parent or guardian join the class, too, for very young kids. (Sorry I don't have great beta on that... our kid was only 10months at the time, so we left him at the lodge with Grandma.)

Good luck!

#14648 - 04/03/05 07:21 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: onionman]
Arms Offline
Pooh-Bah

Don't forget a "Go Climb a Rock" shirt. I wanted one ever since I saw Captain Kirk's. Remember that one? Kirk soloing El Cap?

"Beans and burbon, an explosive combination."

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored