Shout Box

Who's Online
0 registered (), 12 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#14619 - 03/21/05 09:56 PM Yosemite with the family
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
I'm heading out to Yosemite in late August for a week .... but as a family vacation. My husband can TR 5.7 at the Gunks, and my kids (by then 8 and 11 years old) can TR easy 5.5-5.6 (if not overhanging or reachy). So since I'll be stuck with the family, can anyone recommend an area with easy 1 pitch climbing we can do? I can lead and set up TRs or suggest something with an easy approach to the top to set up TRs. Could perhaps go up a grade harder and let them play around/thrash as well. But I'll be doing all the ropegun work (hubby doesn't lead or set up anchors).

Hopefully I'll get to find someone I can escape with for a day and do some more substantial climbing (hint hint if any Yosemite locals are reading this).

Thanks!

Jannette

#14620 - 03/21/05 10:35 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Jannette]
Chas Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Flagstaff
There are a few areas that are friendly for those grades, but not the classic climbing that Yosemite is known for.

Swan Slabs has plenty of single pitch stuff. You can do a 5.6 to get a TR on Grants Crack, thin and somewhat soft 5.9, and two 5.10's to the right of it.

Over by the Yosemite Falls is a crack (name is eluding me) where its a friendly 5.7 crack and puts you at a point where you can TR Lazy Bum and Bummer (5.10d and 5.10c). To the left of it is a 5.8 (lemon something) and takes a red camalot at the corner of the undercling and then a yellow and blue camalot ... (sorry for the gear beta)

To the left of the falls is Munginella a soft 5.6 and to the right of it is Commitment, a one move 5.9 (mostly 5.7 moves) (but both climbs are 4 pitch climbs)

The most productive area you'll find is at Churchbowl where there are several climbs in the 5.4 to 5.9 range.

Sorry, I've moved from the area (and my vacations are set aside for the Tetons and a month in Nepal)otherwise I'd have shown you around.

Have fun.....

#14621 - 03/22/05 02:15 AM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Jannette]
Arms Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: WV, near NRG and Seneca
There is a "guidebook" "Yosemite Topropes" by Rob Floyd. It has the above-mentioned Grant's Crack (Which the Mighty Arms has led) and a very few others.

The guidebook is $8.95 and about 1/16" thick. It includes icons that tell wether an area ia child friendly or not.

Pretty sad pickins'

#14622 - 03/22/05 02:26 AM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Jannette]
Arms Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: WV, near NRG and Seneca
Sorry, as with everything anyone ever had a use for, this guide seems to be out of print.

#14623 - 03/22/05 03:02 AM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Arms]
Jannette Offline

Cliffmama
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Gardiner, NY
Arms, thanks for the book tip, I just found it on sale on http://www.lattaoutdoors.com and purchased it. Thanks!

Jannette

#14624 - 03/22/05 05:20 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Jannette]
pedestrian Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: a heavily fortified bunker!
Don't forget to see the sights. Redwood groves, Tuolumne, Vernal & Nevada Falls, rafting trips on the Merced?

Clouds Rest is a great hike IF your kids have a long attention span for hiking. From the summit, you can see Half Dome, North Dome, El Cap, most of the valley, Tenaya Canyon & Lake, all sorts of Tuolumne domes, and neighboring mountain ranges.

#14625 - 03/22/05 05:36 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Chas]
CrackBoy Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Republic of Davis
yup i second church bowl and swan slab area, plenty easy to set up TR's especially after you lead something. plus it shouldn't be too crowded since its tuolomne season. you probably could lead the first pitch of after 6 or after seven and drop a rope on that or walk over to some of the other variations ..but keep in mind this are some easier classics so there is usually a line of people who would take unkindly to a top rope party ..they are at manure pile buttress. i also think there are some harder lines to the left of them which you can walk up to.

#14626 - 03/22/05 08:49 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: Chas]
chazman Offline
old hand

Quote:

Over by the Yosemite Falls is a crack (name is eluding me) where its a friendly 5.7 crack and puts you at a point where you can TR Lazy Bum and Bummer (5.10d and 5.10c).

I agree with Chas with the exception of this one... if you mean Sunnyside Jamcrack (which I think you do) it's 5.9 and the lower 1/3 is about as polished as a fine diamond I wouldn't hop on it thinking its 5.7

My vote is the Church Bowl area, lots of fun moderate stuff. Bishop's Terrace is a must if you can keep the kids occupied while you run up a long single pitch. Have fun.

#14627 - 03/23/05 01:14 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: chazman]
chip Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Sittin' Pretty in Fat City
Seems likely to me that in late August (I'll be bringing my gang through in mid-August) you'll find some pretty warm weather. Combined with the incredible amount of polish on the popular one pitch routes, things can be way greased. Very pretty and easily approached are some bolted top rope areas in Tuolumne. The topography/scenery is quite different than the valley and a cool 1and 1/2 hour drive. Additionally, the climbing is generally of a slab nature on big crystals of feldspar, which is very reach friendly to kids. Approach time to Pothole Dome climbs is less than 15 minutes through open meadow and along the top of the dome.

#14628 - 03/23/05 04:01 PM Re: Yosemite with the family [Re: chazman]
intrepid02 Offline
Snarky Bastard

Loc: Boulder
Have you thought about dragging your husband up Snake Dike (5.7)?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  andrew, Mike Rawdon 
Sponsored